Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the roles and responsibility of an ABAP support Consultant?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are the roles and responsibility of an ABAP support Consultant?

Hi SAP gurus,

Im new to this community.Please Guide me.Now Im getting trained in SAP ABAP. I wanted to know what do an ABAP consultant do in a support project?

Thanks in Advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit,

In the support projects:

1. working closely with functional team
  2. debugging on the issues related customized programs
  3. working on new requirements like user exits/reports/forms and other enhancements
  4. IDOC's
  5. Interfaces
  6. corrections/additions in existing reports/forms and other enhancements.
  7. Analyzing some technical related SAP notes when its required to implement.

And any other functional areas for which the consultant required a support from ABAPer.

Happy learning and all the best for your venturing in SAP.

Regards, Sai Krishna.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit,

In a support project ABAP consultant -

1. can work on the development which comes as a change request in the existing functionality.

2. can help in analyzing the dump issues reported by the users

3. can also learn about the business process to understand the relevant scenarios

4. can work on improving the performance of the existing development programs which gives faster output

5. can also look for best practises for ABAP coding and improve learning around that

Hope this will be useful

Thanks and Regards

DJ

former_member182041
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit,

Support projects provides exposure to many different areas to a developer, meaning, good for learning.

Related to the role of developer, I would say the analytic skills play a good role. As is highlighted in the above reply, doing root cause analysis of issues/defects would be required along with change requests. It is good to scale up with code-debugging tricks and tips for faster and smoother analysis.

On a sidenote, I would also recommend that getting the functional overview of the application adds to the understanding and is advantageous in long term. In one of my first projects in which I was supposed to address defects and change requests, I remember I went on a weekend just to give extra time to completely debug that portal application and understand it fully. That added to the confidence with which I addressed the change requests or suggested improvements. Good luck!

Regards,

Kumud

gurunathkumar_dadamu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

After a go live, the application needs a maintenance/support to resolve the issues/tickets raised by the users when using the application. Ticket is like a request for changes/bug fixing or a request for a new ABAP Developer Role includes bug fixing/change the existing code due to new requirements/build a new code etc.

After once fixing the bug/issue test the application and change the history of the existence TS and prepare the test cases and deliver the delivery document with all updation what are changed made.

Regards,

Gurunath

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satyajit,

In the support projects:

1. working closely with functional team
  2. debugging on the issues related customized programs
  3. working on new requirements like user exits/reports/forms and other enhancements
  4. IDOC's
  5. Interfaces
  6. corrections/additions in existing reports/forms and other enhancements.
  7. Analyzing some technical related SAP notes when its required to implement.

And any other functional areas for which the consultant required a support from ABAPer.

Happy learning and all the best for your venturing in SAP.

Regards, Sai Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.