Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on BALDAT and BALHDR Table Size

ketxorange7
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I need your help to enlighten me if there is any way to know the specific table size in BALDAT and BALHDR table. I am currently doing an archiving via sbal_delete to perform the deletion for old logs in the system. I am instructed to perform the deletion on a yearly basis, where I have to record the before and after deletion size of every year, which I monitor through DB02 transaction, recorded before and after running sbal_delete.

However, as I am performing the deletion, the size of both table keeps expanding as the new logs comes in every minutes and because of that, I can't get the exact space size of the deleted logs on that particular year I am deleting.

Therefore, I would like to know, is there any way where I can get the exact size of these two tables, filtered by yearly records, or any efficient way where I can get the size on before and after deletion more accurately?

Regards,

Shakir

View Entire Topic
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharik,

Write report will give you the space savings, in the spool will get the actual results how much it deleted from both tables.

Ex:

If you want to analyse on it before running the write job. You can only estimate, you can not get the actual size. By considering the total table size(sum of BALDAT+BALHDR table sizes) / no. of entries in BALHDR table. By doing this you can get the size of individual entry. Based on this you can calculate the size of tables and can estimate the savings on each year.

Actual savings in the tables can get only after table re organization, you would not get the benefit immediately.

Regards,

Sudheer T 

ketxorange7
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sudheer T,

Thank you for your reply. Can you show me how to get to the screenshot that you attached please? Which transaction is that?

Regards,

Shakir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Screen shot is from spool of the write job... just select the write job and click on spool and select the spool. In the write job spool you can get the Summary details for the entire write job.

Regards,

Sudheer

ketxorange7
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sudheer,

By considering the total table size(sum of BALDAT+BALHDR table sizes) / no. of entries in BALHDR table, does this means that one entry in the table hold the same size across the table?

Eg,

Total Size: 10 MB

Total Entries: 100 entries

Size per entries = 10 MB/100 entries = 0.1 MB

Therefore,

Entry 1 = 0.1 MB

Entry 2 = 0.1 MB

Entry 100 = 0.1 MB

Is the size per entry are always the same in SAP table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shakir,

Yes, this way you can get the approximate savings by just estimating.

We dont have any standard reports/formulas in SAP Archiving to estimate the savings on each entry basis.

Regards,

Sudheer T

ketxorange7
Explorer
0 Kudos

I see. Thanks for the helpful input, Sudheer.

Regards,

Shakir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shakir,

Please close the thread.. if your issue resolved.

Regards,

Sudheer T