Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Column Level Encryption

rama_shankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Can we implement HANA column level data encryption and decryption (by role) / HANA SQL?

Below is what I am trying to design: please review and advise. Thanks.

–Need the functionality to encrypt column level data in SLT during read/write operation and store encrypted value in HANA table column, decrypt data using HANA security roles for SAP ECC ( ISU and CRM) Data –

–Need the functionality to encrypt column level data within HANA during data transformation ( table to table ) and decrypt data back using HANA security roles for any HANA table.column

former_member664588
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I see that you try to find out an encryption and decryption feature for a column, I see that you have visited the same places I've been. On the last link there is half the answer for encryption. Did you manage to solve it?

Thank you

Alejandro Raitarsky

View Entire Topic
lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP HANA doesn't provide a functionality for column level encryption as of now (HANA2 SPS1).

What is available is a *column masking* option in the modelling environment.

Also, there had been modelling approaches to implement data access based on roles/privileges (you should find those, if you look around here on SCN).

Bottom line on that is: you will have to implement the data access/masking/scrambling scheme yourself in the system. There is no simple function, that would lock/unlock access to certain columns by role membership.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, to use the data masking and anonymisation feautures the scriptserver needs to be set up. Read the documentation- it’s all in there.