cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria installation questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Administrators,

We have had few problems with our test sap afaria  environment and we decided to reinstall it all over again. However I would like to avoid the issue we have had before.  The issue was, that the installation was made locally, not in windows AD domain, however we enrolled test users (android) which were a domain users. They were able to enroll ok, however we wanted to test how would it behave in stronger security policy environment and we changed their passwords. The result was a disaster – Afaria wouldn’t let them login again, unless they would unenroll and enroll again. We did try to configure it to see the AD users however something went wrong and we decided to wipe it all.

Could You please tell when exactly is the moment, or the place where afaria is configured to see domain users and changes in their passwords  ?

Also to avoid future problems I have a few questions :

What are exactly the pros and cons of domain afaria installation ? What will it change in Afaria environment ?

Also in the installation guide there’s a little difference in the requirements of a domain user :

http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/zip-afaria7sp4/Afaria_InstallationGuide.pdf

on page 23 it says that the Domain user (lets call it ABC user)  should have the right to log on as service / interactive logon -> I presume that with this user I will install the Afaria but – will it be also the default afaria administrator ? Should it be also a database owner ?

On page 42 I see that suddenly  a another user is needed with additional rights (does it have to be also abc user, or can it be other (let’s call it GHZ ) user ?

On page 43 new required DA rights appear (in confrontation with the ones mentioned on 23) I presume that the user really does need them. Does it have to be ABC user or GHZ ? (if GHZ- does he have to be also able to log on as service ? ) Does that user need to keep those privileges forever, or does he need them only during installation ?

That would leave us with two users one for connecting with DA and second to install and run all services (will it be also afaria admin user or there will be yet another?) One on Windows domain(local user) and second on created in AD. AM I right ?

What are Your experience on this ? Do You use two users, or one for everything ?

What would better work for our test environment – ms sql serv, or sql anywhere?

And the last question – let’s say that I build a test environment sp 4, and later decide to upgrade it. To sp 6 . However with time a dev will come to me and request that I install a relay server or anything additional. Will I be able to ? Or would I have to install everything from the beginning ?

Thank you very much in advance.

View Entire Topic
volker_saier
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Marek,

First of all it is not required to install Afaria in a domain. There is no AD user necessary to install Afaria or to run the Afaria services. So I assume that the password change issue you saw in the past is not caused by the fact that you installed Afaria locally and not in a AD.

There are only local access rights necessary (local Administrator access) for the user installing Afaria and running the Afaria services.

The AD access rights you referring on page 42 is required for the user connecting to the AD in the security settings in Afaria Admin. Please keep in mind that you can connect to several ADs in different tenants in Afaria to connect with different users to the ADs. This has nothing to do with the user running the Afaria services.

The key to avoid any issues with the connection to an AD are the Afaria Security settings configured for the specific tenant. I assume that you changed these security settings in any way to cause the issue you saw with the password change.

Additionally I strongly recommend to test with a newer Afaria version than SP4. The current Afaria 7 version is SP8. It is not supported to upgrade directly from SP4 to SP8. Only direct upgrades from SP6 or SP7 to SP8 are supported.

Best regards

Volker Saier

SAP Product Support