cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Warehouse physically (SAP WM)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Requirement is to physically move a Warehouse from existing location to new location. Warehouse currently have standard Storage types and an ASRS (Automated Storage Retrieval System).

Please give your opinion what would be the best way to handle this, consider the following:

1. Mostly FIFO and Fixed bin strategies are used across

2. Have 300000 components approximately

3. Material movement is very frequent so cut over time should be less as much as possible

4. Old and new Warehouses are 5 KM apart approximately (So lets assume physically moving all components take 2 days)

5. Similar (or almost same) setup will be in new warehouse as well

6. Assume materials will not be in Intermediate Storage types during transition

7. Assume physical inventory count have been performed just before this

8. SUM not used

9. Version is ECC6.0 EHP4

Please suggest the best way to handle this based on your experience. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ramprakash

View Entire Topic
Former Member
0 Kudos

If they are similar enough perhaps only address data would require updates and the physical moves can happen outside of the system? Just a thought

I can tell you the major issues I have seen during warehouse moves:

During a move stock was mixed on pallets to move to the new location and it took too long to sort the pallets at the new location to put the stock into the new bins. We stopped shipping the stock on mixed pallets (using sheets of cardboard to separate items/batch codes to avoid sorting the stock at the new location and it doubled (at least) the speed in which we were able to put the stock away. So I would recommend to avoid mixing stock that would need to be separated again if at all possible.

During another move only one inventory count was done and not down the batch code level. This caused huge inconsistencies in the actual stock VS system stock. We had batch codes expiring that didn't exist and we shipped expired stock because the batch codes in the system were wrong. I would push for two full physical inventory counts down the batch level before the physical move and a third after the physical move. The stock count should be at the batch level if you use batch management.

Also during a move management assumed we would be unable to ship for longer then it took to move the stock and they actually over-shipped to customers causing a huge amount of returns. So its very important to accurately judge the "down time" and not ship to little or to much before the move starts.