Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add crash on one client and cause all other SAP clients to freeze

rasmuswulff_jensen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All

I have a big problem that I hope someone might help solve...

We have a customer adding 2000 invoices in 100-300 batches using a Add-on we have created.

Our add-on does what it is suppose to do, but at random intervals (more when many users are working), the add-on freeze (it does not crash with an error despite we have try/catch all over... Instead the addon goes down to use zero in CPU and nothing is added to the database)... This is a big problem since the add-on use transactions and if the "crash" happens within a transaction all other clients freeze (not able to do anything).... if the add-on process is killed all client "wakes up"...

The customer is running SBO2007A PL42 and have a 27GB database with around 15 simultanious users

Anyone:

- Who have experience somthing similar?

- Know any solutions / partial solution?

Kind Regards

Rasmus Wulff Jensen

View Entire Topic
Former Member
0 Kudos

With further research I found that the problem exists when the DI API SAP object has an unhandled internal error. Typically you can figure out the error by checking the objects GetLastError; however, if it's not handled then the DI never gets to this step.

I found an unhandled exception (throwing COM SERVERFAULT errors) when I used the Add method. Once the object errored, it kept database transactions in an open state causing table locks where no other user could modify the data.

My solution was to put a try-catch on the .Add method and disconnect from the SAP company if an error occured. Upon disconnecting the system released the locks on the tables.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The same application that I'm using ran perfectly in 2005A SQL 2000. I don't know whether this is a SQL2005 or SAP (or both) issue at this point.

Hi,

did yo try to compile your AddOn with the old 2005-DLLs (SAPBouiCom,SAPBobsCom) and install/run this AddOn on 2007?

(If you don't make use of new 2007-SDK-features it should be possible)

I don't know...maybe it makes a difference to your issue...

Edited by: Roland Toschek on Oct 29, 2008 10:55 AM

rasmuswulff_jensen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All

Some additional facts and observations for furture reference:

- The add-on does not freeze anymore after stooping other add-ons... It is believed to be because the one of the other add-ons was set to catch the StatusBar-event and the generating add-on produced tons of statusbar events (leading the add-ons to crash each other).. This is only teory and we are currently testing this...

- I can understand why unhandled exceptions would lead to deadlocks but in our case this was not an issue since we allready had the try/catch structure in place

- The main issue in all this turned out to be something completely different... It turned out that the invoice add-method threw an exception (The dreaded "The server threw an exception")... After investigation it was located that this happened for some odd reason when closing sales orders that were created during SAP RampUp and the specific problem was with the CodeBars column in the database being empty... Don't even ask why that can cause an unhandled exception becuase I don't have any clue to why this is...

/Rasmus