Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics and pragmatism: Is it acceptable to get certified with "free" material?

gilberto_parga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

this time I bring to discussion a moral issue, not a technical one. So if you are interested in technical matters, ignore it.

I am interested in get certified. This link:

https://training.sap.com/v2/certification/c_taw12_731-sap-certfied-development-associate-abap-with-s...

will show you that the topic areas are covered with material certification keys TAW10, TAW11, TAW12 at its most.

I confess you I have googled them. Looking for TAW10 you will realize there are cloud storage sites which offer the material in very easy way, few clicks of distance to be downloaded. In fact, a lot of material in form of PDF documents is on these sites. But... Lately I have started to think more about my religion. I am Roman Catholic. And it is serious matter (sin) to use books or documents copyrighted without permission. Lets set the points about my trouble:

I enjoy a relatively low salary, less than 2000 USD per month. (This is no complaint, I am happy with it )

Every course has a cost of 500 USD. So I will save 1500 USD to get 3 courses. 3 weeks salary approx., plus traveling and lodging and expenses, almost a month to save.

I have no time to attend a course. I have to continue working.

Is there a way to buy the books (TAW10, TAW11, TAW12) or to buy a PDF copy of them by legal ways, without attending course? Will those books to be as expensive as course itself or cost less than courses?

Let the trouble be known: I can take advantage of free, non legal material on the web, on the cloud storage sites. Its free, just few steps from distance. I can read them, training by myself, and only pay for the final exam. My effort, but anyway I should pay to get certified. Sounds fair. Many guys around the world follow this path. But, Am I damaging someone? I mean, am I stealing SAP AG by getting my certification reading those "free" documents on the web? I read by myself, do excercises by myself, and pay SAP in order to present the exam. I am not sure if SAP AG gets happy with more and more certified consultants. If I get certified, I can provide better solutions (more precise, less time) and customers will be happier, and maybe if I am SAP partner employee which provides services to SAP customers, those customers will be comfortable with my services and with SAP.

But my conscience is not comfortable with it, because the material on the web is killing copyright. Many times I have read those books to get technical knowledge and to solve some issues. Being so, technically I am a contemptible thief, right?

May be this is a fussy, picky issue. But it is real. If people around the world always do the right thing... maybe knowledge will not be as widespread as it is, due to Internet, which is anarchycal, and where piracy is widespread. Finally, if it is really against ethics to use TAW10, TAW12 from free downloads, where can I legally get only the books?... May be I will drop my decision on get certified if there are difficulties and try to follow righteousness . From religious point of view, I dont want to sell my soul for a SAP certificate -_-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've just enrolled one of my employees on the online training program. It isn't cheap. People who use the illegal documentation help contribute to the expense. If more people trained, then perhaps the courses would be cheaper. People who use the stolen material are keeping the cost of training high, and therefore stealing from you and me.

I thoroughly sympathise with you - we live in a world where if you're willing to cheat and lie, it seems that you can gain advantage. It annoys me as well, that's why as a moderator, I reject postings from people who've apparently managed to get a programming job but haven't any experience or training.

So - no - don't use the illegal stuff. Instead, be innovative and use the plentiful legal stuff available. SAP Press have an ABAP certification book that will help.

3 REPLIES 3

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you considered doing the courses online? I believe that is much cheaper, and it would give you access to the course notes. No travel costs, work time lost etc.

Of course, there is no compulsion to buy the notes or attend any courses. If you can teach yourself (eg by reading SAP help and doing SCN tutorials), I'm quite sure you can pass the certification test. From what I've seen, you don't have to be very proficient to pass - I have seen some exams with passing scores between 60 and 70%.

I won't make any comment on the ethical / religious questions - everyone must follow their own compass 🙂

good luck

Paul

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've just enrolled one of my employees on the online training program. It isn't cheap. People who use the illegal documentation help contribute to the expense. If more people trained, then perhaps the courses would be cheaper. People who use the stolen material are keeping the cost of training high, and therefore stealing from you and me.

I thoroughly sympathise with you - we live in a world where if you're willing to cheat and lie, it seems that you can gain advantage. It annoys me as well, that's why as a moderator, I reject postings from people who've apparently managed to get a programming job but haven't any experience or training.

So - no - don't use the illegal stuff. Instead, be innovative and use the plentiful legal stuff available. SAP Press have an ABAP certification book that will help.

gilberto_parga
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul and Matthew.

Now I face up the dilemma about if it is correct to set points to an ethical, non-technical post, but admins will take care of this anyway.

I will avoid to use pirated books and materials. Right decision according me...