Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship between 'business transactions', SAP LUW, and tRFCs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's what (I think I know:

- A 'business transaction' is a set of (dialog) steps that have the same 'transaction ID.' I can see the steps of a business transaction in STAD or STATTRACE.

- An SAP LUW is a set of steps that are a single unit of work.

- Function calls started with a tRFC are started in a new SAP LUW.

The questions are:

- Does an SAP LUW correspond 1:1 to a business transaction?

- If so, then tRFC spawns sub-transactions. Is there a way (using STAD or STATTRACE) to see, the parent-child transaction relationship? To see which transactions spawned which sub-transactions?

Thanks.

--

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

A business transaction can have a number of steps with each step changing the 'status' but each step may be executed in different points of time and technically realised by an SAP transaction. Each status change would consitute an SAP LUW.

A transaction in SAP R/3 like me22n may be called to change a Purchase Order. Now, the transaction me21n may be calling a number of other transactions for various internal processining steps.

An SAP LUW is a step or a set of steps that work on an 'all or nothing principle'. It can consist of mutiple sap transactions but the bottom line is that either all the steps are saved to the database or none at all.

An SAP LUW is technically realised using tRFC calls.

BR/

Mathew.

8 REPLIES 8

mathew_muthalaly
Contributor
0 Kudos

A business transaction can have a number of steps with each step changing the 'status' but each step may be executed in different points of time and technically realised by an SAP transaction. Each status change would consitute an SAP LUW.

A transaction in SAP R/3 like me22n may be called to change a Purchase Order. Now, the transaction me21n may be calling a number of other transactions for various internal processining steps.

An SAP LUW is a step or a set of steps that work on an 'all or nothing principle'. It can consist of mutiple sap transactions but the bottom line is that either all the steps are saved to the database or none at all.

An SAP LUW is technically realised using tRFC calls.

BR/

Mathew.

0 Kudos

Hey, I missed this post. Thanks, Matthew!

Are you saying that a 'business transaction' is one or more SAP LUWs?

Just to be clear: What I call a 'business transaction' is all of the steps that have the same transaction id, as seen in STAD or STATTRACE.

What I'm a trying to do is look at the statistics records for an entire landscape and group them. I'm wondering if grouping them by transaction id (grouping into business transactions) identifies all of the work pushed through the landscape.

I see some business transactions that were started via a tRFC and am wondering how they got started. Were they started by another business transaction? If so, then how do I find which one? Or were they started from some external system that I don't have statistics records.

--

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To see tRFCs, you can check the transaction SM58.

If an error occurs in the target system, this error will be registred in the SM58.

Other about tRFCs, there is number of connections to tRFCs you can check this in the transaction SMQS.

Regards,

Fernando

0 Kudos

>>Def. of STAD (from SAP doc.):

The Business Transaction Analysis (Transaction STAD) delivers workload statistics across business transactions (that is, a user's transaction that starts when a transaction is called [/n....] and that ends with an update call or when the user leaves the transaction) and jobs.<<

A Business transaction may sometimes call other transactions internally. But those internally called transactions would not represent an SAP LUW. The Business transaction would constitute an SAP LUW - the work done till then is completely saved or not saved at all.

I was earlier speaking from a CRM context.

>>Def of Transaction ID w.r.t. STATTRACE (from SAP doc.)

N3 Workload: Transaction ID (GUID)

The ID of a transaction is a Global Unique Identifier (GUID) that allows the consolidation of all statistics records from different components for one transaction during the evaluation. It is therefore a central instrument of the analysis.

Use

A transaction ID is created in the first component that writes statistics records and in which a transaction runs (initial system). This ID is stored in the statistics main record, and passed to succeeding components in which this transaction runs using the passport. The transaction ID is unique within the statistics records for a transaction over component boundaries. The passport is transferred in the SAP Web Application Server 6.20 using the communication paths RFC and DIAG .

Dependencies

The transaction ID is a central part of all DSR components and should be set everywhere.

Example

SAP R/3 Systems have been using the transaction ID since SAP Basis 4.0B. It is transferred using RFC or the task handler (dialog => update). This is the basis of the Business Transaction Analysis (transaction STAD) that was delivered with SAP Basis 4.5. In this way, with certain Support Packages, you can trace transactions in SAP R/3 Systems as far back as SAP Basis 4.0B.<<

Mathew.

Edited by: Mathew Muthalaly on May 22, 2008 6:14 AM

0 Kudos

> A Business transaction may sometimes call other transactions internally. But those internally called transactions would not represent an SAP LUW. The Business transaction would constitute an SAP LUW

This seems to imply that a business transaction is exactly one SAP LUW. Do you agree?

Now we know that a tRFC starts another SAP LUW. And we conclude, another business transaction.

I want to figure out all the business transactions spawed by the original business transaction.

--

Tim

0 Kudos

> A transaction ID is created in the first component that writes statistics records and in which a transaction runs (initial system). This ID is stored in the statistics main record, and passed to succeeding components in which this transaction runs using the passport.

I have looked at the Client Info (Passport) subrecords and have yet to find an ID that corresponds to the transaction ID of the main records. I will look again.

--

Tim

0 Kudos

Yes, I agree that a business transaction like 'Create Sales Order' represents and SAP LUW.

However, SAP LUW is a logical concept - the save all or nothing principle.

tRFC calls may be used in implementing SAP LUW in remote systems.

BR/

Mathew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing this discussion until I find out something more to add.

--

Tim