Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Master - Mass Update - Locks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, i am not sure where exactly this belongs BASIS/ABAP but posting here from development perspective.

We are in the process of mass creating 65,000 material master records and extending them to plant and storage location views. We are not planning on to use LSMW or WinShuttle. From a development perspective, I do not like the approach of updating one material master at a time using (BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVE) as it might take a long time to update (over 8 days). So, we are looking at BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEREPLICA (Update multiple material masters at one time) but are worried that it might cause locking issues since our locking size is limited to 200,000. Do you guys see or have any other options that we could give a try?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Why can`t you split the qty and update one after other.

Is their any constraints to use LSMW  in your Org.?

Regards,

Pardhu

0 Kudos

Thanks PardhaSaradhi, There are no constraints regarding LSMW. I was never a fan of LSMW as it seems slower than BAPI provided.

One of our split the records into subsets of may be 50,000 and update them.

0 Kudos

Dear,

But for me LSMW is best way to have screen wise monitoring and update on the screen if any thing goes wrong.

And its better to have split teh records and update.

Regards,

pardhu

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh boy. LSMW is workbench it is does not post your materials.

In the workbench you choose the import method, e.g. BAPI, and finally the BAPI is executed for the data that got prepared in LSMW. So a BAPI started from LSMW is not a second slower than the same  BAPI that is started from an own program.

200000 lock entries is pretty high.

and 8 days for 65000 materials is damn slow.

I loaded about 200000 materials in November in half time using the BAPI method from LSMW

0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen. Appreciate your prompt response and would definitely give LSMW a try and will update the thread.

Regarding the locks, yes it is high but had to increase it because of the design of the previous programs and users trying to run multiple loads.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LSMW is a tool that helps a user with little ABAP knowledge to do great migrations, it guides you through the various steps with easy options to describe source files and relations and mapping and finally it generates a conversion program that uploads and reads your  source data and converts it to the target values and structures that will then be used in standard programs to import it to the SAP tables.

I have an example for