Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the backend coding while preparing reports in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to know the table and fields used for generating reports in SAP.

So can I somehow get the list of tables and fields used to prepare the reports which I am getting from SAP or the coding which is used by some of the default reports in SAP.

For example : If I want to know what are the tables and fields used while preparing Available Stock/ Inventory Level report and how they have calculated the values.

I am working on a project where I have to form relations of data tables and reports. Also, I am trying to extract insights without generating reports but creating custom calculations according to our needs directly on data in tables. I am looking for some documentation or if SAP records the codes which are applied by SAP during preparation of report (Like done by some of the tools like VBA and ACL - backend recording of steps performed).

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

Use the SQL performance trace (transaction code ST05) to know which tables are used while running the ABAP reports. One button in the ST05 may bring you to the related ABAP code too. But there is a logic in the ABAP report too, to do many calculations, and to determine how the tables are to be accessed, joined, etc., so you'll have to debug the ABAP reports too. Or use intuition sometimes.

5 REPLIES 5

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

Use the SQL performance trace (transaction code ST05) to know which tables are used while running the ABAP reports. One button in the ST05 may bring you to the related ABAP code too. But there is a logic in the ABAP report too, to do many calculations, and to determine how the tables are to be accessed, joined, etc., so you'll have to debug the ABAP reports too. Or use intuition sometimes.

Jelena
Active Contributor

In addition to Sandra's answer - the most commonly used SAP tables are already documented (albeit informally). If you google "SAP table list" it should find a PDF floating around on the interwebs.

Some processes though, like availability determination, are quite complex. You need to take into account the ATP configuration, the supply and demand, etc. That's why SAP provides BAPIs to get such information. But if you are working on a custom calculation (why?) then I'm not sure why you'd care how SAP calculates it...

These tasks can be like trying to drink from a firehose.

matt
Active Contributor

Looks like it could be an attempt to reverse engineer SAP functionality. That might possible be a violation of licence conditions.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope not (for the OP's sanity sake) but it's a great point. Thanks for mentioning this!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to SAP and I don't know how it works, how to write scripts, how to export data and everything.
So what I am trying to do is, export the tables which I require in SQL server and do the custom calculations there. But the problem is, I don't know which fields are being used for calculations standard reports in SAP. I need to know the fields and tables used for calculations so that I export the same data and to SQL do the changes.