Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion:Naming Conflicts of Enhancement Concepts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Before,I knew the basic enhancement technologies,which could be divided into 3 categories as follows:

a,User Exit,

b,Customer Exit(Function Exit,Screen Exit,Menu Exit),

c,BAdI.

If any mistake,please let me know.

Recently,I see a New concept named Enhancement Framework occasionally that can be divided into 4 types as follows:

a,Source Code Enhancement

b,Function Enahncement

c,Class Enhancement

d,New Kernel BAdI

In my opinion,all above are belong to the techniques of enhancement,but does any differernce exist between the two classification way of current technologies and any relation among the various techniques? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Liao,

you are correct. But remember that there is a huge difference between them .they appear same but their functionality is diffrent.

i think u saw help.sap.com.

observe it carefully.else i am providing pls go a head

see the below document lia. u can know better]

Enhancement Framework

Purpose

The new enhancement concept of the ABAP Workbench (Enhancement Framework) enables the integration of different concepts for modifying and enhancing development objects. The enhancement concept is supported by the Enhancement Builder tool and ABAP language elements.

Previous Concepts

In the long-term, the new Enhancement Framework is to replace or incorporate the existing enhancement and modification concepts. These are described under Changing the SAP Standard (BC).

The previous concepts were separated into modifications u2013 that is, changes to delivered development objects, and enhancements u2013 that is, inserting user developments at points predefined by SAP.

● Modifications were carried out using the Modification Assistant and supported in system upgrades.

● Before Release 4.6, enhancements were only possible via Customer Exits. As of Release 4.6, function module exits (customer exits for source code enhancements) were replaced with Business Add-Ins.

Problematic aspects of the previous concepts are:

● There is no real upgrade support for modifications and enhancements made in different systems of a transport route u2013 for example, by SAP, to partner add-ons, or to customer developments.

● It is difficult to trace developments made in different parallel systems back to one system.

● In the case of systems in which large amounts of user developments and modifications were made, retracing and testing these developments after an upgrade is a very time-consuming process.

Features

The aim of the new enhancement concept as of Release 7.0 of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP (SAP NetWeaver 7.0) is to unify all possible ways of modifying or enhancing SAP products (more precisely, Repository objects of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP), which go beyond the scope of Customizing. The corresponding tool is the Enhancement Builder, which is integrated in the ABAP Workbench.

In the context of the new enhancement concept, the following can be handled as enhancements:

● Modifying a Repository object

● Replacing a Repository object with an identically-named object

● Enhancing a Repository object at a predefined position

● Using a foreign object

The Enhancement Framework knows all information about an enhancement that is required, for example, for an upgrade or for the ABAP runtime environment.

The enhancements of the enhancement concept can be switched using the Switch Framework. This means that an enhancement takes effect when the package in which the above enhancement components are defined is assigned to a switch of the Switch Framework and this switch is not deactivated.

Multilayer Support

In constrast to modifications, with enhancements it becomes possible to have enhancements on different development levels, for example:

● core development

● application development

● add-on development

● customer development

It is possible to create multiple enhancement implementations on different layers or to replace an enhancement implementation, but enhancements cannot be nested.

Constraints

For the current release, the enhancement concept only incorporates enhancements of Repository objects at predefined positions called enhancement options.

Enhancement Concept

Use

The enhancement concept enables the integration of the following concepts for modifying and enhancing development objects:

· Enhancement options u2013 positions in Repository objects where enhancements can be made.

· Enhancement spots u2013 used to manage explicit enhancement options.

· Enhancement implementations u2013 manage the enhancements of the enhancement options, both explicit and implicit.

While implicit enhancement options always exist and do not require any special management, explicit enhancement options created in an initial system must be made known to developers in target systems by means of enhancement spots.

Correspondingly, enhancements made by developers in follow-on systems must also be managed as enhancement implementations. This applies to all enhancement options, both explicit and implicit

see this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/94/9cdc40132a8531e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

thanks

karthik

reward me if usefull

0 Kudos

But I still have the confusion.Now that the Enhancement Framework could incorporate all the enhancement technologies such as function module exit,menu exit..... So I wanna know,for the four techs Source Code Enhancement,Function Enahncement,Class Enhancement in the Framework,to which one does function module exit belong,and BAdI belong,and others? What I mean is the the absolute mapping relation of two.

In other words,I just want to know whether User Exit ,Screen Exit are parts of Enhancement Framework,and how they are incorporated in to the framework?

Edited by: Alex Liao on May 30, 2008 5:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Your classification is right regarding the exis.

The other technologies you specified are the new technologies introduced in the Enhancement framework.

You can use this framework from the release 6.0. version.

u2018Enhancement Frameworku2019 is the new paradigm to bring all enhancement techniques under one roof. The aim of the new enhancement concept as of Release 7.0 is to unify all possible ways of modifying or enhancing SAP products , which go beyond the scope of Customizing.

Problematic aspects of Previous concepts i.e BADIs and Customer Exits and User Exits.

There is no real upgrade support for modifications and enhancements made in different systems of a transport route.

It is difficult to trace developments in different parallel systems back to one system.

In case of systems in which large amounts of user developments and modifications were made, retracing and testing these developments after an upgrade is a very time-consuming process.

Purpose of New Enhancement Framework

This new enhancement concept of the ABAP Workbench enables the integration of different concepts for modifying and enhancing development objects. The enhancement concept is supported by the Enhancement Builder tool and ABAP language elements.

The aim of the new enhancement concept is to unify all possible ways of modifying or enhancing SAP products , which go beyond the scope of Customizing.

In the long-term, the new Enhancement Framework is to replace or incorporate the existing enhancement and modification concepts.

For further details refer to the following link.

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/94/9cdc40132a8531e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm]

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/bb54c452-0801-0010-0e84-a653307fc6fc]

Reward if useful.

Thanks,

Surya Pydikondala.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the links for information on Enhancementspot .

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2006/01/24/what-the-new-enhancement-framework-is-for-150-its-basic-structure-and-elements-for-beginners

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2006/03/15/the-new-enhancement-framework-part-2--what-else-you-need-to-know-before-building-an-enhancement

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2006/04/03/how-to-define-a-new-badi-within-the-enhancement-framework--part-3-of-the-series

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2006/04/18/how-to-implement-a-badi-and-how-to-use-a-filter--part-4-of-the-series-on-the-new-enhancement-framework

/people/thomas.weiss/blog/2006/05/03/source-code-enhancements--part-5-of-the-series-on-the-new-enhancement-framework

Regards

Kiran Sure