Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Code Remediation

former_member191728
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

As we know we need to do ABAP Code Remediation activities when migrating to HANA Database.

We use standard tools like SCI, ATC and SQLM for this

But my question is when should we actually start doing the ABAP Code Remediation activities.

I.e. after the system is migrated to HANA Database

or

On you current non-HANA Database.

What will be best approach before migration or after migration

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Since most of the cleanups recommended before moving to HANA will improve your code on any platform (it is always a good idea to replace nested SELECT loops with joins or subqueries ...), I'd say start as soon as possible.

4 REPLIES 4

horst_keller
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Since most of the cleanups recommended before moving to HANA will improve your code on any platform (it is always a good idea to replace nested SELECT loops with joins or subqueries ...), I'd say start as soon as possible.

matt
Active Contributor

What Horst said...

I've been involved in a few HANA upgrades. You do everything you can upfront. Then you upgrade, and see what's broken. Then fix that. Performance monitoring is particularly important after upgrade, as some SQL is pathologically bad for HANA - i.e. it runs acceptably on Oracle (for example) but not optimally, and then collapses in a wobbly heap under HANA.

roberto_vacca2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It depends on your environment.

If your company has an high-level attention on performance and security issues you should monitorize from st12, tracing your reports that actually are most consuming resources reports.

Queries will probably need a revisit (SQ01/SQ02). You'll need to regenerate query and stuff like that. Most of reports will still work.

Reports with SQL direct instructions must be reviewed. Pay attention to your Z*table. Most of table will be column oriented in HANA, and you'll probably need to review someones with big dimension. If production system comes up with a well powered hardware, you'll not probably notice any changes. Some standard changed, so trace all forced INSERT/MODIFY/DELETE to standard. Choose enhancement option instead.

For other tips, you'll need to find your solutions. Every company has different needs.

Hope to help Bye

Armin_Beil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Additionally to the good answers that have already been given I'd like to provide a link to this blog:

ABAP Custom Code Adaption for SAP HANA

It also contains a high level step by step procedure.

Best regards,
Armin