cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Tips

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.. I know there are columns on travel tips out there in the general internet world.  And most of us already know the biggies.  Like hydrate well before and during any flights as airplane cabins are usually very dry.  Wear easy to slip on/off shoes through the airport, (Ever been behind a woman with shoes with wraps half-way up her legs?  Or hiker types with boots laced up to mid-calf?).  Have your laptop ready to pull out before you get to the screening tables.  These are tips you'll find at almost any travel blog.

But I know that SAP consultants are some of the most traveled folks in the world.  I'm looking for some of the more unusual or unique tips that some of the traveling consultants have incorporated into their routines.  I KNOW there must be some good ones out there.  Some that maybe other SAP traveling consultants haven't thought of.  Maybe how they save space in packing?  What makes their trip go smoother?  Items that are must-have's or that do double-duty.

I'll start with a few. When I was flying out weekly, I had my blue, black, green, and gray weeks.  This made it easy to pack each week as I would only need one pair of shoes and belt.  With two pairs/styles of slacks of each color it was easy to grab the two pants, and the matching shirts that went with them for the week.  No thought to gee.. what was I going to wear.  Plus when they were washed when I got home, the whole complement of colors were washed together and ready to go for another full week.. Ok.. yes boring... maybe predictable, but I'm a guy.. boring is what we do.  Packing was literally done in about ten minutes. Now the ladies might have more trouble with that.  But I don't want to stereotype so I'll leave it at that!

Another tip, and hopefully many of you do this.  I designate one exterior, zippered pocket of my carry-on for airport security items.  While in line I drop everything into that pocket.  Coins, watch, belt, cell phone, wallet or billfold (mine had metal clips in them).  These all get scanned in the machine while secured in my bag and I'm not standing at the conveyer belt after going through, taking all my stuff out of the little trays.  When I get to the waiting area, I can take my time to empty the pocket and put everything back on.

And lastly, I never keep all my credit cards and cash together. A few cards and some cash in my wallet.  Backup cards and backup cash located elsewhere.  Sometimes in my laptop case or in the carry-on.  If I'm in an area really prone to pick pockets I make sure items are in front pockets and/or zippered pockets and its not all in one place.  When in public, (outside of actual travel),  I only carry one credit card on me with an intentionally limited credit limit.  I don't need a card with any more than a $500 credit limit most of the time when I'm out.  I also split my $$ up when I'm carrying it.  Some in the wallet, some of it elsewhere.  Another pocket sometimes. I've even carried money and credit cards in my shoes sometimes.  It's easy to tuck in a couple of 20's into your shoe or even your sock as a back-up.  (Did that often when biking). The point is to split them up so if you are a victim of a pick pocket or robbery, your losses are limited and you're not stranded some where with no cash or credit.  Along these lines, leave a list back home with a spouse or trusted relative of all the credit cards you took along, along with contact info and credit card numbers.  That way, if you are a victim, you can get the info to cancel everything.  It doesn't help if the list is stored electronically in your STOLEN computer or cell phone!  And it shouldn't be there anyway because if they steal those, they have your credit card info!

Looking forward to hearing some really good tips!!

FF

View Entire Topic
Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

As an Australian, my two airport ones are:

• airport scanner point (less invasing than USA) - don't wear bangles/jewellery or belt that will set of scanner. Use excuse to wear thongs (aka flip flops or jandles or whatever else) so I don't have to take shoes off.
  • International flight and I'm not business class to take express queue - always buy a wooden trinket so I have something to declare to customs. I jump the random queue. The customs office asks what I'm declaring and then just directs me through the line without getting everything else scanned.

Hotels/Places - always be nice to the waiters/room keeping and they'll look after you (I realise not unique). I've had the head chef in a hotel in India write give me a recipe as I loved the dish so much and the rest of the staff prepared a care package as a farewell gift to tide me over at the airport.

Long term in city/area - get the taxi driver's personal number and skip any queue or haggling over fare prices and you message them whilst the plane is taxing to the terminal.

Finally, train your partner to have a drink awaiting your return when you get home late Friday night (that one, I'm still working on but I'm not commuting any more so I doubt he'll master it).

Akshay_G
Contributor
0 Kudos

Colleen Lee wrote:

Hotels/Places - always be nice to the waiters/room keeping and they'll look after you (I realise not unique). I've had the head chef in a hotel in India write give me a recipe as I loved the dish so much and the rest of the staff prepared a care package as a farewell gift to tide me over at the airport.

That's so nice of them! India is always hospitable

Which dish btw? I got inquisitive

P.S. - Writing from India

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Akshay

I was in Chennai and it was the Madras Chicken.

They were awesome and generous people as well as my chauffeur - he took me home to meet his family and I receive Happy New Year messages from him months after I left. His wife tried to get me to try on a Sari.

I have to find a reason to go back and see India properly!

Regards

Colleen

Akshay_G
Contributor
0 Kudos

Colleen, Vow!

That's so awesome.

Yes, there's a lot to see around here.

And yes the assorted spices over here are one of the kind

-Akshay

former_member181931
Contributor