Skip to Content

Database Disconnected error during Veeam backup

Hi Everyone,

We are experiencing a problem where some clients receive the "Database disconnected" error at the conclusion of a Veeam backup taking place.

Not all clients receive the error, and it can be different clients each time. In some cases, a client may have 2 databases open, and only 1 receives the error while the other is completely fine.

The problem does not occur with every backup, but a significant portion.

We are running the following:
SAP B1 9.1 PL08
SQL Server 2014
VMWare ESXi 5.5 Update 2
Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 (running on a physical server)

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? We use Veeam to take hourly incrementals, so the issue is affecting users several times a day and becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks,
Michael

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

1 Answer

  • Dec 14, 2018 at 06:27 PM

    Hi Michael,

    I see this is a pretty old thread, but I wonder if you ever resolved the issue? We just recently migrated our SAP ECC on SQL Server environment into VMware, and with that we started using Veeam for OS-level backups, and we are now observing the same behavior you describe. Indeed, I've found older discussion threads to indicate that this has apparently been a known issue for some time (see https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/3715817, and also https://www.veeam.com/kb1681, which acknowledges the issue and leads to some further links, but basically says "sorry, not our problem, it's a VMware thing!").

    We did not notice the issue in our DEV or QAS environments, I think because those have SAP application and SQL database residing on the same hosts (or VMs, now), whereas in PRD we have a dedicated database server. It's the connection from separate SAP application VM talking to the database VM that gets interrupted during the snapshot removal and consolidation that occurs at the end of the Veeam backup of the database server.

    In our case, we are not using Veeam to directly backup the database; we are using SQL Server native tools to do that to disk, and then Veeam captures that backup file during its backup of the whole server.

    In any case, I'm still researching the issue from the SAP and SQL side of things, while our Systems Operations team is researching from the VMware and Veeam angles. We don't yet have a solution.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

    • PS, I took the liberty of adding some more tags to the question, as this isn't restricted to the Business One environment, but seems to affect all SAP on SQL Server on VMware installations.