Skip to Content

i18n: umlauts and other special characters

Hi,

I have i18n property files for several languages which use special characters (German, French, Asian languages, etc.)

These files are saved as UTF8 encoded files. Everything works fine as long as I serve these files from my local Tomcat for testing.

But as soon as I deploy the application to the netweaver server and call it from there, all special characters are crippled.

This document states "Use Unicode escape sequences for special characters." but to be honest, I can't believe that this should be the solution.

Add comment
10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Get RSS Feed

2 Answers

  • Best Answer
    Oct 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM

    Meanwhile I found a solution:

    Either this one:

    Native-to-ASCII Converter

    Or a more comfortable way if you're working with eclipse:

    https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/properties-editor

    The latter one is an eclipse plugin which let's you edit i18n property files in eclipse displaying the "native" representation of characters while saving to disc in escaped unicode format.

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded

  • Oct 20, 2015 at 04:14 PM

    Hi Frank,

    I solved this by converting special characters in the i18n files to ascii. You can try this out using an online converter like native2ascii.

    ex. Ê becomes \u00ca

    Good luck!

    Best regards,

    Maarten

    Add comment
    10|10000 characters needed characters exceeded