Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ABAP DEBUGGING

azeemsap9
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am a SAP Functional Consultant learning ABAP Debugging.

I am familiar with ABAP Debugger Screen.

I can see the options to put a Breakpoint at a Statement, Function Module, Subroutine,Include etc...

My question is how will we come to know to put a Breakpoint at a Statement OR Function Module OR Subroutine OR Include.

6 REPLIES 6

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

For ABAP statements, by learning ABAP.

For procedures (function modules, subroutines, methods), by experience. For instance, if your step-by-step debugging brings you to a given general-purpose subroutine, in the future it will be faster to add a breakpoint directly at the beginning of this subroutine.

Etc.

joltdx
Active Contributor

Or do you mean where to put a breakpoint to get it to stop where you want to, as in "I want the debugger to launch when I click the Save button in transaction IW32, then where do I put my breakpoint"?

If so, if you have no idea at all, a quick answer for a SAP GUI scenario is to use the command /h in the command field (where you enter transaction codes). The next action in the GUI will then launch the debugger and from there you can step yourself forward and hopefully find what you're looking for...

azeemsap9
Explorer
0 Kudos

In step by step Debugging ,how to check the program flow. I can see the options to check fields, structures,internal tables, database tables, breakpoint, watch points. But I don't know how to use them to check program flow.

joltdx
Active Contributor

Is this what you're after?

SAP Help portal - Debugger call stack

arf, please use COMMENT and ANSWER buttons appropriately 😉azeemsap9 Please do not use ANSWER, it's only for solution, edit your question to add this question complement, or use COMMENT to add it to your question if you prefer.jorgen_lindqvist41 Please do not use COMMENT when posting a solution.

joltdx
Active Contributor

Yes, though I'm still trying to figure out what OP is asking, I do provide possible solutions. The place for possible solutions are answers. Thanks, I appreciate you looking after the community sandra.rossi!