SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Standard configuration for Weighted Articles.?

sridhar_madiraju
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Retail Experts,

1. Can you please let me know the standard process in SAP for handling the weighted articles like Vegetables, meat for which price is determined based on the weight of the article. How to identify whether the article is related to weighted one or standard article?

2. Is there any relation for weighted articles with GTIN Category?

3. Further what is the meaning of Standard Article Number(SAN) and the relevance of table TSAN?

Regards,

Sridhar Madiraju.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andras_strobl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

For weighted articles you can customize separate GTIN (EAN) category under activity 'Define Attributes of EANs/UPCs'.

See my attached example, along with further necessary customizing (number range, check-digit alg., prefix).

This will allow you for example to generate internal EAN code upon adding the relevant Unit of Measure.

Regarding the SAN:

TSAN is a catalog actually, containing a list of products identified by a SAN within the company.
When the product (eg. vegetables) is weighted, the EAN code will consist of a prefix (to identify the structure of the code itself), then comes the SAN (which you can customize in advance, identifying the product eg. 'early harvest blue grapes'), then everything else needed like the weight, price, etc. (see also)

I am not sure whether SAN is still widely used among retailers. Usually companies follow the most recent standards published by GS1.
If you want to have some insight, what perspectives are available nowadays, check this one for example.

Best regards,
Andras

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

andras_strobl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

For weighted articles you can customize separate GTIN (EAN) category under activity 'Define Attributes of EANs/UPCs'.

See my attached example, along with further necessary customizing (number range, check-digit alg., prefix).

This will allow you for example to generate internal EAN code upon adding the relevant Unit of Measure.

Regarding the SAN:

TSAN is a catalog actually, containing a list of products identified by a SAN within the company.
When the product (eg. vegetables) is weighted, the EAN code will consist of a prefix (to identify the structure of the code itself), then comes the SAN (which you can customize in advance, identifying the product eg. 'early harvest blue grapes'), then everything else needed like the weight, price, etc. (see also)

I am not sure whether SAN is still widely used among retailers. Usually companies follow the most recent standards published by GS1.
If you want to have some insight, what perspectives are available nowadays, check this one for example.

Best regards,
Andras

0 Kudos

Thank you Andras.