SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSR Rules or BRF

former_member182585
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI SLCM Gurus,

Right now i am writing some complex rules for my client and i have no clue whether to use BRF or VSR. The scenario is given below. A student has to undergo 3 levels i.e. Basic, Intermediate and Advanced technical levels.

If all the below conditions are statisfied only then student is said to be successful:

1. A student must maintain minmum GPA 4.0 in Basic level.

2. A student must pass in 70% of evaluated mudules in intermediate level. Eg: If there are 10 modules 70% of 10 is 7 (which is rounded of to next integer if it is in fraction), hence a student must pass in 7 module either in Test or Retest i.e., max of 2 attempts allowed in each module. For any Re-test by defualt secured grade will be B+ or below even if scores Grade A marks."

3. A student must attain a pass grade (u2018Bu2019 and above) in Intermediate Level either through first attempt or through repeat evaluation

4. A student must maintain a minimum SGPA (in specialization) of 4.00.

5. A student must pass in 70% of evaluated mudules in advanced technical level.

6. A student must attain a pass grade (u2018Bu2019 and above) in advanced technical level either through first attempt or through repeat evaluation .

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Vinod

I think you should use VSR (substitutions and rules) within Program Progression to evaluate all that and to move students from one level to the other. Or maybe use some audit to validate all that.

BRF may be used to trigger some automatic activity within the process, but to evaluate the student level I think Program Progression is more suitable.

Diego

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Vinod

I think you should use VSR (substitutions and rules) within Program Progression to evaluate all that and to move students from one level to the other. Or maybe use some audit to validate all that.

BRF may be used to trigger some automatic activity within the process, but to evaluate the student level I think Program Progression is more suitable.

Diego

0 Kudos

Hi Diegi,

Its been nice to see your reply.

I will be really thankful if you could guide me writing this in technical terms. I tried to do it myself but unable to come at suitable logic.

Warm Regards

Vinod Kumar

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Are you refering to a program (type) progression process or a graduation process?

I would purely work with the degree/stage audit functionality. You could put all of your stated conditions into

requirements and subrequirement (rules*) and maintain them in a requirement catalog. I would suggest to use the requirement template functionality which gives you the flexibility to relate different rules sets to different type of students and also relate them to individual different programs.

• Rules can be maintained into:

- Index-dependent subrequirements

- Index-independent subrequirement

For specific customer rules that cannot be covered by the standard (already a lot of standard PI's) you can create Z-performance indexes and Z-parameters and values/conditions. Check the following Badi: HRPIQ00SI2_PINDX_FIL & HRPIQ00RLCONDITION for more information to create you own rule check within the audit process.

Hope this helps.

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi,

It was really helpful answer. I have two programs (XY and AB) which has 3 levels each i.e. basic, intermediate and expert. To reach at level 3 of program XY you should have a minimum GPA of 4.0 at (Level 1Level 2) and clear modules out of 10 (Level1Level2) else we have to trigger exit action.

Whilst in program AB, to reach at level 3 you have a minimum GPA of 4.0 at Level 2 and clear 7 modules out of 10 (at level 2)else we have to trigger exit action.

To complete the program student has to fulfill following rules:

1. A student must maintain a minimum Intermediate GPA of 4.00 at Intermediate level.

2. A student must maintain a minimum GPA of 4.00 in Expert level.

3. A student must PASS in 65% of the evaluated modules in Intermediate and Expert Courses together

4 A studentmust attain a pass grade (u2018Bu2019 and above) either through Comprehensive Examination or Re-Comprehensive examination in BOTH Intermediate Level and Expert Training level. Comprehensive is nothing but module in intermediate and expert level.

My questions and doubt here are:

1. How to acccomodate this complex scenario? As suggested by You VSR and Audit functionality suits my requirements.

2. I am using Degree audit and program type progression functionality for the same. I can use VSR rules with program type progression.

3. Do we have a function module or program to be called at to check all these rules at degree audit. Or simply call up point will do that?

4. Subrequirements are better to use or VSR rules?

Please note that it is not a university and just a training institute, so wanted to avoid complexity.

Please suggest.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

0 Kudos

Vinod,

Really you have to look at the semantics of your process. Which is a better description?

A. You have students that you need to 'rate' every academic session with a value such as 'level 1', 'level 2', etc. These students may be in different programs, but they follow the same rules for their ratings.

B. You have students that you need to periodically 'check' to see if they have met the requirements to complete their programs (or enter a new 'stage' of their programs). Each program has unique requirements (though a few may be common).

C. You need to check for each student at te end of each session whether an action should be taken based upon the student's Performance Indexes (e.g. GPA, % of modules completed) and study data.

Option 'A' is the use case for Program Type Progression. Option 'B' is the use case for Degree/Stage Audit. Option 'C' is the use case for the Academic Post-processing Framework.

Based on what I have seen of your scenario, I suppose option 'B' makes sense for you. The rules you describe can all be handled via simple audit subrequirements and key figures. Degree and Stage audit can be called on demand for individual students (via a delivered Web Dynpro in EHP5 or BSP in earlier releases). It can alse be done via mass processing for a group of students.

-Michael