SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Academic Structure

former_member182585
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SLCM Experts,

Is it possible/advisable to configure SLCM, (up to) sub topic/Unit wise? Client wants me to configure subject as module group, topics as modules and sub-topics as business event type.

For example if a particular subject (To Be as-Module group) has 150 Topics (To Be as-Modules) and each Topic has 4-10 sub topics (To Be as-Business Events) taken by same instructor.

Note that each class is of 1 hour through out the session.

Subject Topic Subtopic Hrs Reqd (All) Instructor(All)

Physiology GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY HOMEOSTASIS 1 VK Sharma

GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY CELL PHYSIOLOGY 1 VK Sharma

GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY TRANSPORT THROUGH CELL MEMBRANO VK Sharma

GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY MEMBRANE POTENTIALS 1 VK Sharma

GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY PHYSIOLOGY OF EXERCISE 1 VK Sharma

BLOOD COMPOSITION & FUNCTIONS OF BLOOD

BLOOD PLASMA PROTEINS

BLOOD ERYTHROPOISIS

BLOOD LEUCOPOISIS

BLOOD IMMUNITY

Guide me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

7 REPLIES 7

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

the drawback I see from what you propose is that you won't be able to grade or alocate credits at Module Group Level. So if you need to place a grade for the whole "module", you won't be able to do it.

Diego

0 Kudos

Dear Diego,

Thats what i proposed to client, but they want it in their way. Apart from developing, is there any other alternate solution to the problem?

Regards

Vinod Kumar

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Vinod, which is the lowest unit you need to grade/allocate credits to? I mean, do you need to grade only the whole module, or you need to grade each topic or subtopic?

Diego

0 Kudos

Diego, Here they are confused. They want to conduct Internal tests and quizzes based upon topics and sub topics but final term exam for subject. Moreover they are asking to configure sub topics as Business event packages causing confusion as start date and end date for each and every event package will be same except timings. This will result in creation of thousands of business event packages.

Please suggest.

Regards

Vinod Kumar

Edited by: Vinod Kumar on Jan 19, 2010 6:44 AM

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Vinod,

I should me missing an important part of the picture, but why "they" want the subjects as Module Groups? I think you should tell them that a subject has to be a module, and that they can handle the topic/subtopic, if they want, with different Event types, and based on that, create Event Packages/Events for each Event type (topic/subtopic).

For example, from the info you sent in the original post:

Module: Physiology

Event Type 1: GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY - HOMEOSTASIS

Event Type 2: GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY - CELL PHYSIOLOGY

Event Type 5: BLOOD - COMPOSITION & FUNCTIONS OF BLOOD

Event Type 6: BLOOD - PLASMA PROTEINS

etc

This way you can handle Credits and Grades at MODULE level, and you can also deal with different Event Types for different Topics/subtopics so you can predefine instructors, etc for each of them. And you also have identified the different topics/subtopics in case you need some kind of reporting.

Maybe you have already thought about this, I am sorry as with not much information is difficult to help in this kind of decisions.

Other forum members might have a different approach that may help you as well.

Good Luck.

Diego

0 Kudos

Diego,

The business logic behind such requirement is to identify which topic/subtopic has been covered in case an instructor leaves in between session.

The suggested solution is great but i have a little query over it" Is it advisable to configure system in such a way?" Don't you think configuring hourly based business event per day will result in complex academic structure and increase the load on staff to create and maintain business events.

Warm Regards

Vinod Kumar

Dmoreira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, it is complex to mantain. But the way you said they want to handle this (to have a Module Group as a subject, then topics as modules, and then event types as subtopics) is also complex (you will need an event per each event type you have, so you will need many events as well). And you don't have unified the subject in one module, that is useful for other purposes, like grading, etc.

Other thing you can look at is to use Teaching Workload to define the topics/subtopics and assign them the time and instructor required by each topic/subtopic. You create one module and one event type. Then create one Business Event with all the schedule of the course, and in teaching workload, you assign each topic/subtopic to an instructor, with the hours required. I really don't know if this was created for things like this, but you can try. You should define the topics/subtopics as Teaching Activities. Then you will have the information to use in some kind of report you may create.

Just an idea! I am sorry if I cannot give you a brightest one, I am not very inspired these days! Maybe someone else have a better solution to propose.

Good Luck again.

Diego