SAP for Chemicals Discussions
Ignite conversations about maximizing efficiency, enhancing safety, and innovating in the chemicals industry with SAP. Start a discussion today.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAS Number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there any field for CAS number in material master?, Is it mandatory to maintain? please explain on this.

Regards,

Sattuj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lauren_mccallum
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, the CAS number is required for some customs documentation. There's a field for it in the purchasing data area of the record. Technical field name is CASNR.

But no sooner do I post this than a colleague points out to me that this field may not be standard. I have seen it on at least, but it is NOT on the standard demo system I just logged on to. So here are some other options:

• Using the classification system set up a class for the material with the characteristic   CAS number (can be defined mandatory or optional), and then classify the materials in questions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any field for CAS number in material master for Pharma industries?, Is it mandatory to maintain? please explain on this.

lauren_mccallum
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, the CAS number is required for some customs documentation. There's a field for it in the purchasing data area of the record. Technical field name is CASNR.

But no sooner do I post this than a colleague points out to me that this field may not be standard. I have seen it on at least, but it is NOT on the standard demo system I just logged on to. So here are some other options:

• Using the classification system set up a class for the material with the characteristic   CAS number (can be defined mandatory or optional), and then classify the materials in questions.

0 Kudos

Thank you very much....

0 Kudos

And another colleague has this suggestion:

I am wondering whether the CAS number makes sense in Material Master. The CAS number refers to a single or in some cases to a  group of chemical substances. A material may contain then this substance(s) but will be identical with it exceptionally only. It is very common to maintain CAS numbers in specification data base of EH&S module and to assign those substances then to materials. The specification base is the chemical view including the CAS number and the material is the logistical view.

0 Kudos

FYI - We show the CAS number on the "Foregin Trade import" view of the material master.

FF

0 Kudos

We enter the CAS number in the identifiers tab of the specification data base of the EH&S module because we treat the material name as the customer product name.