Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career at 42 age

former_member714194
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Team , I am in to banking industry from last 10 years and my age is 42 now.

I want to switch my career to SAP

should I go for it with SAP FICO

What is the chance to get a job and it will be the right decision

6 REPLIES 6

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It depends on how strong you are in SAP FI. With the informations shared by you, it is difficult to assist you.

If you already have some basic understanding in SAP and know the SAP functionalities, yes you can switch your career into SAP but there also, you will be considered as a Fresher. Your domain experience will not be considered. So obviously, your pay will be less than what you are drawing currently.

0 Kudos

Dear sir

Thanks alot for your reply

No sir I don't have any SAP FICO certification.

I am going to take this course from the Orion institute for 3 month and post this will appear for certification .

Will it give me a good career path further as in my current job I don't find much exposure going further.

Currently my package is 8 lac and I am into retail branch banking.

Pls suggest ...

sanilbhandari
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I am not too sure of what is your exp in SAP FICO and considering your rich exp in Banking.

However, SAP also has an industry solution in Banking and you might want to look at the learning journey there

https://help.sap.com/doc/221f8f84afef43d29ad37ef2af0c4adf/HP_2.0/en-US/500240387a261014943c867b0143c...

https://help.sap.com/doc/221f8f84afef43d29ad37ef2af0c4adf/HP_2.0/en-US/500cb8397a261014991ea5574d473...

You might want to look at this rather than pure FICO roles, which would be difficult to get into if you have no previous exposure of FICO, considering the stage of career you are at this point.

Thanks & Regards

Sanil Bhandari

Sanil Bhandari

0 Kudos

Dear sir

Thanks alot for your reply

No sir I don't have any SAP FICO certification.

I am going to take this course from the Orion institute for 3 month and post this will appear for certification .

Will it give me a good career path further as in my current job I don't find much exposure going further.

Currently my package is 8 lac and I am into retail branch banking.

Pls suggest ...

sanilbhandari
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I have a similar exp of retail banking as well as Medical Units and had shifted to SAP Consulting back in 2007. I would suggest to look at opening in Banking area, where FICO is the starting base. Many of the European Banks use SAP Solution for Core Banking, so I would suggest to explore the Banking Solution from SAP as an area to grow into given your rich banking background and build on top of it

Regards

Sanil Bhandari

Sanil Bhandari

former_member709916
Participant

It all depends on your commitment.

Ideally (as you already work in a company who has SAP) look at the open SAP positions within your company: it will be a good start and opportunity to learn the basic functional requirement, familiarise yourself with the SAP screens, functionalities and lingo.

Just be prepared to long learning journey. Otherwise age is a number, believe in yourself and pursue your target. I’m actually some years older than you are and I did switch career to SAP five years ago after 20 years in accountancy. I am still learning, but fortunately I never hesitated on my decision:)

Best of luck and power to you!