Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 Years of Sales & Marketing Experience wanted to pursue a carree in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am too 36 year old and working with banking sector in recovery process.

Before joining banking sector,  I was associated with Pharmaceutical industry as an Sales Manager for almost 7 year I.e...2000 -2007 and there after I have joined banking sector as an Recovery Manager.

In 2006-2007 I & one of my friend have came across one IT Seminar in Nehru Center (Mumbai), in said seminar L & T Infotec have conducted one session on SAP. In entire session company has highlighted that anyone can join IT industry, if they have in depth domain knowledge. Said session was like a hope for us in joining the IT industry as an SAP Consultant But real picture was altogether different, we have tried in at least dozen of IT company as an SAP consultants but unfortunately could not success ed in getting any break.

Finally we have decided to go for certification, as the training module was costly I have dropped the idea but my friend have gone for it and completed the course and certification.

Now I am working with one of the biggest Private Bank as an Recovery Manager and withdrawing the decent salary, but not satisfied with it. At a same time I have to take care of my dependent family member,  due to which I am bit reluctant in joining the expensive certification course. Through some website & advertisements I have to came to know, that one can join local trainers who will given actual on job training.

Kindly suggest what should I do to pursue a career in SAP, should I go for local trainers or expensive course & certifications is a only way???

Which module will be best suited to me. I am ready to work with a salary marginally lesser than what I am withdrawing.

5 REPLIES 5

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

S T,

Online training institutes give free demo classes. Attend these and see if SAP interests you.

Only when SAP functional work interests you, should you think of getting into this line of work.

TW

0 Kudos

Hi ST,

Let me throw some lights on your ideas:

I would think that you want to start your work as a consultant. In order to become consultant, you need to have domain expertise as well as SAP relevant module knowledge, considering the fact that you have exposed to Banking as well as Pharmaceuticals it will be good for you if you want to take up either Banking modules - SAP FSCM Modules (Credit & Collections, Treasury, Cash etc.) in SAP or normal SAP Finance & Controlling Module.

If you want to consider FSCM, then learing FI-GL, AP & AR first will be good, once you have basic knowlege in FI for these modules then go for FSCM Training.

Considering the background for your pharmaceuticals experience as sales manager, SAP-SD modules will be more good for you.

I have mentioned about selection of your modules based on your exposure. However, you have not mentioned about your education, sometimes based on our education & experience we should decide the SAP module that we want to get exposure.

Abour Certification: If you want to go for Certification, only 2 companies are authorised who does that in India: Siemens & Genovate. So yes, you can go ahead for certification choosing either of these 2.

How to get into a Job:

Many people first join the industry and work as an end user  in respective SAP Modules which actually create the base for their learning or exposure to user transaction codes and then they go for private learning for relevant sap modules from any small institures or external faculty and slowly they switch to work as a consultant.

However some people perfer to get certified first and then search for job to work a consultant.

I have seen both however considering the fact, I see first option is more useful for the fact that you are in fact using the sap application and getting used to some processes before infact knowing how to customise the system.

Let me know if you still have doubt.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

0 Kudos

Thanks Subhasish for your suggestions.

In banking i take care of NPA Management, in said role we come across all business aspect of a stress accounts i.e...Sales, Credit Appraisal, KYC & Regulatory Norms and Closure/Settlement of a account. You have refereed about the Banking modules -SAP FSCM Modules and to go for it first i have to complete SAP FI Module, i have not heard about SAP FSCM module and few of my close associates/colleagues suggested that to go for a SAP FI one need to have good understanding & command of an accounting and i being a Science Graduate is not comfortable with basic accounting.

In such scenario, i feel that SAP SD would be better for me???

As i have mentioned, that in 2006-2007 i have tried in several IT companies as a trainee/user, but unfortunately couldn't got the break/exposure, since most of the companies were looking for experienced/certified candidates.

While going through the various blogs/comments even i have felt, that for a shake of a training/certification resignation will be too risky and it will be not a right decisions. So i am of the opinion, to complete the training/certification with the present job will be more logical. But the second question arises, post training/certification will i get an exposure/break with a salary marginally lesser than what I am withdrawing???

Previously i was thinking only about SAP SD, but after going through your suggestions, i am bit confused about the Module selection i.e..SD or FSCM.

Requesting you to share more on the module selection and Job Break/Exposure.

0 Kudos

Thanks TW for your suggestions.

Definitely i will be going for free demos as well as multiple round of counseling and opinions.

As almost all SCN members have gone through such phase and are aware about the current market challenges & opportunities, requesting all of you to suggest on it.

I am in dilemma whether Post training/certification will i get an exposure/break. If yes then what would be initial.....

0 Kudos

Hi ST,

I can easily relate to your situation as I was also a Banker before moving into SAP.

I was a Relationship Manager and was part of Premium banking in MNC bank. Anyway SD module may be an easy and viable option for you as getting training and projects in Banking module is very tuff ( i donno how many SAP banking training centers/trainers are available in any city in india, its very rare)

Currently being a recovery manager, you must be getting a good salary (with 15 yrs of experience). After moving to SAP, you will have to start as a fresher and salaries range from 20K to 30K per month. FInding a job as a fresher will be really tough.

Search this space, you can see many discussions and documents on this. After that you decide on your future course .

Regards

Jobi