Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the timeout to automatically remove a lock?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a client that would like to know if there ia parameter that can control the time a lock is held in SM12? Does anyone know this paramter?

Thanks,

Martang

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Moderator message - Welcome to SCN. So for example, someone is editing a program and after a certain amount of time you want the lock automatically removed even though the program is still being edited?? Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

The example, would be a user is looking at their W-4 statement from the portal... When that occurs a lock is held for that user's personnel record. Suddenly, the user is disconnected for some odd reason..... The users session is lost, however the lock still remains on the personnel record. In this case, I am asking is there a parameter that would release the lock being held automatically after some period?

0 Kudos

Rather than trying to have the lock release after a certain time, I would investigate why the lock is not released when the session is lost. Does this happen in all cases when a user is disconnected unexpectedly?

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick repsone. To answer your question. The session is lost, and the lock does get released. Just not immediately. I am tasked with finding the parameter that determines this time.

0 Kudos

What original screen technology is used in this transaction? (BSP, web dynpro, dynpro...?) Because maybe it's related to stateful and stateless sessions (I don't know it at all but that could be interesting to investigate)

Shouldn't this question be moved to portal forum?

Moreover, did you check SAP notes?

Note: if you used classic SAPGUI, that couldn't happen, locks are immediately (more or less, may depend on update tasks too, or asynchronous processes...) released when internal session is closed (abnormally or not).