Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the impact of changing standard table field length?

0 Kudos

Hi All,

My colleage is asking to modify standart table T087S to make field T087S up to 70 characters long. I wonder what problems and errors we are going to face if we do that? So far I can only guess that some screens where this field is used, won't be compiled.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the requirement is to increase the length of a particular filed in the standard table then you should take care of the following.

1. Do not change the standard domains.

2. Do not touch the standard data element.

3. Do a where use list of the table and see what all structure/programs etc will be affected.

The question is then how do you change the length. You can do the following.

1. You can have you own data element with the required size and then you assign the field with this data element.

2. You can remove the existing data element and in the table you have the option to provide predifed types. You can insert the length directly here.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Purnand

3 REPLIES 3

Sandeep_Kumar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can find some answers here http://scn.sap.com/thread/732960

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the requirement is to increase the length of a particular filed in the standard table then you should take care of the following.

1. Do not change the standard domains.

2. Do not touch the standard data element.

3. Do a where use list of the table and see what all structure/programs etc will be affected.

The question is then how do you change the length. You can do the following.

1. You can have you own data element with the required size and then you assign the field with this data element.

2. You can remove the existing data element and in the table you have the option to provide predifed types. You can insert the length directly here.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Purnand

0 Kudos

Thank you for your answers.

Finally, we decided not to change standard tables but create Z* table with long descriptions.