Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade And Table Conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are preparing to upgrade to MySAP ERP. I have gone into SPDD and found tables that need to have an earlier version retrieved and activated in order to keep our custom fields that we have previously added to the table. I retreived the needed version in version management. Then, I attempted to adjust and activate it. My problem is that I am getting an error "Nametab of table BSEG with status A does not exist." Can someone tell me the proper procedure for regenerating this table. Does it have something to do with the "storage parameters" button in SE14? Your response is greatly anticipated.

Kind Regards,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

During upgrades it is strongly advised that you use the latest version of the SAP object. This would be especially true for something as important as the BSEG table. I would recommend you reset the object to standard and reapply the customizations. This can be done via SE11->Change->Append structure. This is SAP's preffered method for customizing standard tables and eliminates the object from appearing in SPDD in future upgrades. You may be in a situation where the table already was directly modified and already contains custom data. If this is the case, perhaps a custom program can be written to move the data to the new fields.

7 REPLIES 7

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First check your customs fields or append structure is active or not..

regards

vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason - look at note 24864. It advises against converting BSEG. There may be other notes that help as well.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

During upgrades it is strongly advised that you use the latest version of the SAP object. This would be especially true for something as important as the BSEG table. I would recommend you reset the object to standard and reapply the customizations. This can be done via SE11->Change->Append structure. This is SAP's preffered method for customizing standard tables and eliminates the object from appearing in SPDD in future upgrades. You may be in a situation where the table already was directly modified and already contains custom data. If this is the case, perhaps a custom program can be written to move the data to the new fields.

0 Kudos

This seems to conflict with note 24864. Is there a specific reason why you recommend this? By the way, thank you all for the suggestions thus far. I will reward points in the near future.

0 Kudos

Hi Jason!

I don't know, if you had an append (and if you won't have any trouble in this case), but with a filled BSEG a change might be too late (and is also not recommend according to 24864).

Have a close look at following paragraph of 24864, you should follow this very closely!

"Because of point b), you may not simply reset back to an older version of the BSEG with the help of version management. It is necessary for you to manually create a fieldlist, which does not lead to the conversion.

To aid you, the active runtime object (Nametab) can be used, which you can display in the ABAP/4 editor with 'show bseg'.

This runtime objekt still displays the fields (which are possibly removed from the fieldlist) and their earlier position. However, it is easier to look at an original structure in a second system.

When you have transferred the fieldlists into the correct state, a test of the BSEG in the SE11 will show no more conversion requirements. Continue an upgrade only when you have reached this state."

You started with reset to an old version -> that might be the starting point of your problem.

Please come back, if you need more explanation of the procedure.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos

Christian,

It looks like I am going to be starting over with a new upgraded copy of our DEV client. I would like to confirm the steps that I need to go through to do it correctly ( I will only have 1 opportunity to do it right this time). I don't have access to SPDD in ERP 5.0 at this time, so unfortunately I can't refer to the actual names of application toolbar buttons or menu options (maybe you can help me with that if they differ from SPDD in 4.6c).

Let's assume I am now dealing with an upgraded copy of my DEV client to ERP 5.0. I am aware that I need to reapply my customizations to BSEG (our origional Z fields, which are not in an include). Please help me with the following steps that I need to complete in order to accomplish the "conversion" of BSEG.

1. Go to SPDD.

2. BSEG shows up with a warning (yellow triangle). From what I recall before, the table no longer has my old z fields on it. What should I select in SPDD at this point?

3. I believe I need to add back the z fields, but I am confused as to why this will not require the database to be adjusted and activated. This is the point where you said "... transfer the fieldlists into the correct state." How do you recommend accomplishing this?

Also, I tried the 'show bseg' thing you mentioned in 4.6C and I didn't work. Is this just an ERP thing?

Thank you for all of your efforts so far. I appreciate the valuable advice you have given me.

Kind Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos

Hi Jason!

I just try to give my understanding of note 24864 - but with my background of some table conversions and upgrades, so I hope I can help you.

ad 1./2. 'avoid returning to the Standard SAP System' -> SPDD should leave the table as it is. To get a 'checked' status, chose an option, where old version is most likely preserved.

ad 3. Make all necessary changes manual in SE11. Because BSEG is in SPDD, SAP had changed something, too. Goal: get the new structure without table conversion.

'SAP AG does not deliver any changes that would lead to the table BSEG being completely unloaded and reread. ... New fields ... [are] simply added, without requiring a conversion.'

Because automatic change with SPDD is not avoiding a conversion (or struggles anyway), you have to make SAP additions manually with SE11 - and also your old enhancements.

Field list = structure of table. You have two (normally identical) field lists: active situation in DB and 'theoretic' version in SE11 (the description / definition in SAP). During update SAP introduced a new SE11 version - but DB has still old version.

Task: get combined list of necessary changes.

- all existing (custom added) fields

- new ('appended') fields by upgrade

You <i>just</i> have to maintain this field list in SE11. To see old list / active DB version, this 'show bseg' should help, path SE11 - Utilities - Database object - display (no, they seem to use SE38, don't know either). Anyway, just go into test system, here old version can be displayed without doubt.

You can safely (meaning without trouble) save new field list in SE11.

Activation is a different topic. '... a test of the BSEG in the SE11 will show no more conversion requirements' - yes that's now the important question. If a conversion is required - damn, that should not happen, check your changes. I hope, it's just the CTRL-F2 check (or the warning after activation CTRL-F3?). In case no conversion is necessary, activation should be a pretty simple (and fast) task.

Take your time, chose a quite moment where you have the system nearly for your own, clear questions of disaster recovery (not that you will need this, but good to have one...) and good luck!

Regards,

Christian

P.S.: Wow, just had a 'connection broken', but copied this text in last second (during 'busy' pointer) into local editor