Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial AS 7.52 @Linux@Mac - cannot get IP address

former_member185943
Participant

Hi, I installed the AS ABAP 752 dev.edition in Virtual Box 5.2.26 on Linux (openSUSE Leap 15.0) by use of this guide.

Host machine is a Macbook Pro. Everything worked fine - I could log on to SAP system from Mac's Java SAP GUI.

However, Java GUI is not best for ABAP development and I wanted to work in Windows SAP GUI which obviously does not exist for Mac. For this I have another Parallels VM with Windows 10 on it.

Following the "Can I connect to my server from different computer?" title in this FAQ document I changed the network setting from "NAT" to "Bridged Adapter - bridge" and made other necessary changes in Linux. Finally I got the IP address in Terminal (command 'ip address'). I suppose that my home wireless router gave IP address to all 3 machines (hosting Mac, Win10@Parallels, Linux@VirtualBox).

It was perfect - I could write ABAP programs in Windows SAP GUI!

Once and never again.

Next day I started my VM again and tried to get an IP address by 'ip address' command. It did not return one - the expected 'inet' entry was simply not there. Without IP SAP won't start.

I am struggling with this for already one week (not my only activity, though).

I tried:

• Refreshing MAC address in network settings
  • Restarting Linux VM
  • Restarting Virtual Box
  • Restarting host Mac
  • Switching to NAT (Java GUI still works fine!) and back to "Bridged Adapter"
  • Logging to corporate network
  • Logging to phone Mobile Hotspot
  • Following commands as found in Internet:
  • - 'systemctl restart network.service'
  • - 'sudo dhclient -r && sudo dhclient'
  • - 'ifdown eth<n> && ifup eth<n>' - got response "Network is managed by NetworkManager.service -> skipping"
  • - 'sudo dhclient -v' returned 'DHCPDISCOVER on eth7... No DHCPOFFERS received'
  • I don't know could this be worth: the name of the network adapter started with 'eth1' and incremented every now and then (currently 'eth7').

Does anyone have idea how I could make this work again and get IP for my VM? Alternatively, can host Mac somehow accept guest 1's requests and propagate to the specific other guest 2.

Thanks in advance!

KR,

Igor

8 REPLIES 8

arthursilva
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hello,

Did you check ? https://blogs.sap.com/2019/04/01/part-1-installing-sap-netweaver-as-abap-developer-edition-7.52-sp01...

Also, does the static Local IP reserved for NW in not already being used by a different app?

Arthur

0 Kudos

Hi, Arthur,

Thanks for your quick reply! I did not see your blog before and I must admit that it looks really great. However, it does not address my problem. Your VM's network adapter is set to NAT type and you are accessing SAP system from your host Windows machine. This works for me too, except that my host is a Mac with Java GUI which is not so good for ABAP development.

I want to access my SAP system from another VM (Windows 10 on Parallels) on the same Mac host.

How can I get this? There is a blog with faq which has an answer: VM's network set to "Bridge Adapter" mode. I tried it and it worked perfectly! Unfortunately, it was one-time-off. Next time I started my VM, it could not get an IP address, no matter what I did. You can see all the details in my original post.

You mentioned "static Local IP reserved for NW in not already being used by a different app?". Could you please elaborate precisely how to check this (I am a network ignorant)?

Thanks!

KR,

Igor

arthursilva
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Igor,

Thanks for the explanation, and hadn't understood your point at the first sight. Well, in Docker environment (which is not the real case), in order to make containers visible through a network we have to attach all of them in one single network. Do you mind to share your bridge network ? Are VMs under the same bridge network context ?

I will do an experiment by reproducing same scenario with a MacOS VM in my workstation. Let you know the result later on.

Regarding static Local IP reserved for NW in not already being used by a different app?" It just apply on NAT, nevermind.

Cheers
Arthur Silva

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

This is common in bridge mode. Just as a first step: Is it possible the IP address has been re-assigned in the meantime (even if DHCP is off)? - Happened me.

Check ifconfig. If necessary, edit hosts file on Linux and Windows.

Also, make sure DHCP *is* off.

Best wishes,

Julie.

0 Kudos

Hi, Julie,

Thanks for your answer! I am a network ignorant but I still tried to follow your advices:

"Is it possible the IP address has been re-assigned in the meantime (even if DHCP is off)?"

I don't know how to check this. Which IP address do you mean? I did not memorize the IP address from the first (and only) time that it worked.

"Check ifconfig."

My version of Linux (openSUSE Leap 15.0) does not support ifconfig statement (deprecated), but instead uses ip addr with (probably) the same effect. I run ip addr every time. The result is that I get IP address for loopback, but not for ethernet (except this one time in the beginning).

"If necessary, edit hosts file on Linux and Windows."
If I understood correctly, this is the step where I supply IP address in both hosts, after I get it from ip addr (or ifconfig). My problem is that I don't get IP. Is this what you meant, or...?

"Also, make sure DHCP *is* off."

How do I do this? I found this forum link which suggests running some Linux commands. I tried them and the (non-)result was as follows:

• ip addr add 192.168.1.100/24 brd + dev eth0
    RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permited
  • systemctl disable wickedd-dhcp4.service
    (command executed, no response, no effect on IP address)

Thanks again!

KR, Igor

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Igor, Try our FAQs : Search for "DHCP".

It gives step-by-step, plus a screenshot.

Best wishes,

Julie.

Hi, Julie,

Thanks for reply! However, my VM has suddenly got an IP address for no obvious reason. I did not change anything and cannot explain it. Now I cannot reproduce the problem any more.

Let's see - hopefully it stays like this.

KR,

Igor

0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

OK - hard to say without knowing the specifics. Hope it continues to work for you.

If you are happy after a week or so, can you please close the question?
Thanks a lot,

Julie.