Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport entries workbench TR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All.

I am aware that when we make a table as Application table and make switch as Standard recording (in the table maintenance generator), the system would prompt for a workbench TR when we change any entries.

If we make the table as customizing table (delivery class), then it prompts for Config TR.

Now, my doubt is as follows:

Config TR we all know is client dependent - so it needs to go to be imported into every client.

Workbench TR are supposed to be client independent - but for table entries, the entries are NOT updated in every client. Means it behaves like Config TR - it has to be imported into every client.

Then why does SAP prompt a workbench TR at all if the behavior is supposed to be the same as Config TR?

Clueless on this. Any thoughts anyone please?

Thanks in adv.

7 REPLIES 7

former_member184578
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.,

<removed by moderator>

also check this thread.,

this will solve your doubt.,

Thanks & Regards

Kiran

Moderator message: please do not copy/paste, as this has been a frequent reason for user ID deletion in the past.

Edited by: Thomas Zloch on May 12, 2011 9:21 AM

0 Kudos

I dont think my question was on diff between workbench and config TR. I am aware of that.

My question was: When transporting table entries, either workbench or config TR is asked for depending table delivery class.

But even workbench TR does not go to every client. So what is the purpose of asking for workbench request when migrating table entries?

0 Kudos

This is also dependent on whether the table is client-dependent or not.

- client-dependent: customizing request (for classes like C or E)

- client-independent: workbench request

Customizing requests are always client-dependent, workbench requests can be both. After all, you can assign a customizing request to a workbench request and have everything transported together under this one request.

Thomas

0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas.

But Application tables (del class A) would ask for Workbench requests, right?

And workbench requests normally are client independent.

But in case of table entries, they are client dependent which means they behave same as config requests in that case, correct?

So I was wondering why SAP asks for workbench request at all for transporting table entries - even for del class A tables? What's the rationale if ultimately they are client dependent only?

Btw, you said "you can assign a customizing request to a workbench request and have everything transported together under this one request." -> First, why would we do that since customizing request would need to go to every client individually?

Second, how can we do that ?

0 Kudos

> But Application tables (del class A) would ask for Workbench requests, right?

I guess so, however class A tables I would not expect to be maintained via SE16/SM30 and transported, but through application transactions in each system directly. You can include them manually as TABU entries in workbench requests, but SAP will warn you that this is unusual.

> And workbench requests normally are client independent.

they can contain client-dependent table entries as well.

> But in case of table entries, they are client dependent which means they behave same as config requests in that case, correct?

table entries can be client-independent as well, it depends if the client (data type CLNT) is in the primary key or not.

> So I was wondering why SAP asks for workbench request at all for transporting table entries - even for del class A tables? What's the rationale if ultimately they are client dependent only?

see above

> Btw, you said "you can assign a customizing request to a workbench request and have everything transported together under this one request." -> First, why would we do that since customizing request would need to go to every client individually?

workbench requests can be imported in multiple clients as well, does not hurt. I personally prefer to have my related stuff under just one request number as much as possible.

> Second, how can we do that ?

SE10: utilities, reorganize, customizing request, append to workbench request

Thomas

0 Kudos

Workbench TR always updates all the clients in the system itwas imported as it is client independent and system dependent.

Can you please cross check?

0 Kudos

Very interesting thread, accurately touching my current pain point:

We are regularly applying massive releases (several thousand transports to 8 system lines) and always import both transport types (customizing & workbench) to ALL clients, as we had issues with client dependend workbench contents in the past.

Esp. in systems with 10+ clients this raises a massive time issue...

My question:

Is there a way to figure out (e.g. per ABAP report) which of the workbench transports DO contain client dependent contents?

Target is to import the cross-client workbenches only once, and customizing and client dependent workbenches to all clients.

Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards

Christoph