Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table maintenance through SE16n

former_member563268
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I was trying to copy a major enhancement from one landscape to another. This is a manual procedure and not using TR. I do see a few tables which doesn't have a table maintenance generator done and not maintained through SM30. It is directly done from SE16n. But otheres are not allowed to. What is the difference here between table. COuld you please share your thought on this.

Regards,

A

10 REPLIES 10

former_member1716
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ab ABAP,

SM30 is the only tcode to maintain the table.

SE16n is just a Tcode to view the entries.

Normally you won't have access to change entries in any other transaction other than SM30. Probably they would be using wrong practise of changing entries by getting access through debugging. This is strictly not allowed and not a good practice too. SAP does not suggest this.

Are you taking about Z tables?

Regards

0 Kudos

Yes, its a z table.

Regards,

Ab

0 Kudos

Hello Ab ABAP,

In that case maintaining a table maintenance generator is the best solution.

In case you are not willing to give to access TO SM30, Create a Tcode for that and give the tcode access to the users. Below link explains the creation of custom tcode for SM30 with respect to the table.

TMG-SM30

Am not sure if you are confused with SM30 tcode and the custom tcode created for SM30.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi,

I know about TMG. But my question was to identify what is the difference, what makes a few set of tables given the provision of SE16n maintenance

0 Kudos

Hello Ab ABAP,

Ideally it is recommended to maintain values in SM30.

Maintaining in different system and moving through TR is purely based on the business scenario. There is no specific standard reason for this. Though this will not be followed by majority of the clients unless the business scenario demands.

dev_parbutteea
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is not recommended since all updates via SE16N are saved somewhere and you can get in trouble if there are any audits. But still there are lots of people who do it.

I would recommend creating a maintenance view and transport the entries.

Dev.

0 Kudos

UASE16N_CD_KEY / UASE16N_CD_DATA

and if I am the guy of the audit, you will have big problem ...

0 Kudos

But how is it available only for a few set of tables.

Regards,

0 Kudos

But i am not going to maintain it production. Rather maintain it using SE16n and then import using a TR to production.Again, my questio, why is only for afew tables and not for all.

Regards,

A

Even if SAP doesn't suggest this, SAP offer capacity to go into modification, that's all to say.
But changes are logged in SE16N_CD_KEY and SE16N_CD_DATA, then easy to find the guilty ! 😉