Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Maintenance Generator or Maintenance view

whatsap
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello friends,

I wanted to know whether Table Maintenance Generator (TMG) is still required after creating a maintenance view for a transparent table?

Best Regards,

Vishwanath

10 REPLIES 10

ennowulff
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to call the maintenance generator if you want the user to maintain the data of the table.

What do you mean with "is the generator tool still required?"

0 Kudos

I mean to ask if there are two ways to maintain data manually in a transparent table:

1. by creating a table maintenance generator in SE11 for a given table.

2. by creating a maintenance view for the given table.

When we are going with option 2, do we still require to create a TMG to maintain data through the maintenance view ? Or, either of the above options is sufficient to maintain data in the table? Which of these understandings is correct?

Or, rather, i must ask why do we have to create a maintenance view if we have the option to create a TMG to maintain data for a table?

0 Kudos

If you create a TMG, the screen generated is linked to your Table

If you create a Maintenance View, you will create a screen for the view.

(so there is no link)

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP don't improve the old concepts, so yes it's still required to have a TMD (D for Dialog) if you want to maintain your own customizing table via the transaction code SM30.

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sandra.rossi I thought he was speaking about maintenance view like for SPRO ..

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

frdric.girod I don't understand your remark, did I say something wrong?

FredericGirod
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sandra.rossi I am confused with the two names "Maintenance Generator" and "Maintenance view". for me "Maintenance view" is, for example, when you want to build your own SPRO (with SM34). But I am really not sure, I just want to have your point of view about the question 🙂

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor

frdric.girod Okay I understand your point now. The TM Generator is the SAP tool to create the TM Dialogs. Maintenance Views are special views dedicated to TM Dialogs, they allow defining selection fields, read-only fields, etc. Maintenance views are not reserved to SPRO because SM30 and SM34 (view clusters) can be invoked manually (if you know the view name). But you're right in that SPRO nodes contain (almost) all TM dialogs (my 2 cents --I didn't count--) A TM dialog can be based only on a Table or on a Maintenance View. A view cluster is built on existing TM dialogs.

ArthurParisius
Contributor
0 Kudos

In my experience, I use TMG if the table I'm making doesn't have any relation to any other table (for example a text table). I use a Maintenance View if I want to maintain data in several related tables at the same time.

So in my opinion you only need 1 of the options to maintain data in your table and my personal preference is TMG since that does a lot of the work for you in creating the needed screens.

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  • To maintain the values without code, you will usually need a maintenance dialog, created with the maintenance dialog generator.
  • A maintenance dialog can be defined on the table itself or on a maintenance view defined to enhance the dialog.
  • Could you now rephrase your question