Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Description Generator

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do u mean by Table Description Generator ? What is the difference between Table Description Generator and Table Maintenance Generator ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually i faced in the interview.... they asked me the difference between Table Maintenance Generator and Table Description Generator... and the different transaction codes....

9 REPLIES 9

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The first generates a description of a table, the second generates code that is used via SM30 to maintain entries in the table.

i.e. they do exactly what the say.

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the transaction code for Table Description Generator.... I need a proper definition of Table Description Generator and what is it used ?

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

The main purpose of Table Maintenance Generator is to

Create/Change/Delete the table entries with out writing any

code. When ever we create table maintenance generator it

will generate a standard program

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Debo,

Where did u see this word Table Description Generator ? I've only come across table maintenance generator no table description generator. Please let us know the source of your question.

Regards,

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi debopriya,

The Table Maintenance Generator is used to create table maintenance program to add, modify or delete records in the database table. This can be accessed using transaction SE54 or in SE11 using the menu Utilities->Table Maintenance Generator.

And you need not worry about table description generator because there is nothing like table description generator in abap.

In simple words,in abap we have table maintenance generator but no table description generator.

Best of luck,

Bhumika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually i faced in the interview.... they asked me the difference between Table Maintenance Generator and Table Description Generator... and the different transaction codes....

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Both I access through SE11. Though I understand they may have seperate transactions, it's not necessary to know what they are.

TMG is well know.

Table Description Generator is through SE11->utilities. It is also transaction O020. As it says when you run it, it is used to "Generate Structure Description for Higher-Level Programming Language".

So, if you need to access a table from outside, using COBOL, PL1, C or RPG, it will generate the code to define the table in those languages.

If you didn't get it right at interview, I wouldn't worry. I've been using ABAP for over 10 years, and never noticed this facility before! And if you didn't get the job because you didn't know this - trust me, you DON'T want to work there anyway!

matt

0 Kudos

Hi matt:

Greetings for the day.

Can you pls tell me more about Table Description Generator and what is the main use of this and were we will incorporate this concept.

Thanks in Advance,

Vishall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot... my issue is resolved...

Reg,

Debopriyo