Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST05

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i m executing ST05 there is a option "Enter SQL statement".

When i paste my sql statement and click on explain button, i am getting following error.

"Error recieved from Explain SQL"

Please help

Regards,

Santosh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

this function requires native sql - like you would write it between exec sql and endexec.

Or like you could copy from an sql trace.

Regards Wolfgang

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

this function requires native sql - like you would write it between exec sql and endexec.

Or like you could copy from an sql trace.

Regards Wolfgang

tushar_shukla
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh ,

Check if you are using correct fields of a table and try to use modifed version of any existing statements.

To check if this option is working in your system :open any exiting statement with "Explain" and save it as local file.

Now open another statement and press F5 ; this will clear your editor . After this Load the saved file and click on Explain button.

This editor can be used to check the cost and index used for a valid database statements.

Thanks,

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to enter Native SQL Statement there.

Follow below steps:

Run Tcode 'ST05' -> activate trace -> run your program ->wait till execution -> deactivate trace -> display trace -> find ur select statement there -> position on it -> press EXPLAIN -> whatever sql query you find there copy it and paste it in 'Enter SQL Statement Area' .

Hopes this helps you to write Naitive SQL query.

Regards,

Nibha

former_member194613
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I must cases you would anyway post your original statement there ...

so what will change ????

The function is mainly interesting to check whether the explain changes

+ after an update of the statictics

+ or after the creation of a new index

+ or by adding a suitable database hint

Siegfried