Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneak Preview ABAP Edition just released

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Sneak Preview: ABAP Edition is now available. Kathy just announced it in the forum:

The link to the Sneak Preview stays the same: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/uuid/cfc19866-0401...

Basically this is a "slim" or "mini" ABAP installation with a compressed database component, comparable to the "slim" Java version. It's supposed to run with a minimum of 1GB but 2GB RAM is recommended.

Feedback on this edition, like the others, should go in the SDN Code Sample/Download forum ().

Cheers,

Marilyn

11 REPLIES 11

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Awesome, downloading now, only 5 hours to go!

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

Took less than an hour for me

Too bad, I have only 512MB RAM.

Regards,

Subramanian V.

0 Kudos

So sorry Venkat

Rich perhaps in another 5 hours you can blog about the experience

Can't wait to see hear the comments.

cheers,

Marilyn

0 Kudos

Sure will, only have 1gb memory on my laptop, hope it runs ok.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

It would be really awesome to see the community weigh in on their experiences with this installation.

I'm going to suggest that we find a way to reward participants for doing a good job of sharing and documenting their experiences with the installation.

One idea would be to give a "double point" allocation.

That means that good content contribution (articles, blogs, detailed forum posts in a separate marked thread) that articulates the substance of what a downloader does in the course of the new ABAP Sneak Preview installation: tips and tricks, installation guide details, observations and detailed opinions, will be <u>doubly rewarded</u>.

Hey, this is a very time consuming activity, as I am experiencing myself at present.

Thoughts?

Marilyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I install both Jav and ABAP editions on the same machine or do I need to wait for the full edition to be available?

I need to work on the CAF/xApps/Guided Procedures aspects of the Java edition, while I also want to upgrade my ABAP experience to the next level.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Srinivas

0 Kudos

It did take about 5.5 hours to download. I guess we should upgrade our bandwidth.

I've been reading the documentation, It mentions about having to have j2sdk. Do we need to have a java development kit installed to run the ABAP stack? I thought the j2sdk is only for the JAVA stack? Anyone?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

It took me about 2 to 3 hours to download 4 files(two Java Edition and two ABAP edition), that too probably because I started all the downloads at the same time. But I have a cable broadband connection, maybe that made a difference.

Rich, if you look at the download instructions, it only has one for the slim edition and for the Java edition. They still need to add the instructions for the ABAP edition.

Now I will try to install and see what I encounter.

Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The place I sit has a restriction of downloading through ftp. Can this not be done through download manager.

Thanks.

Regards

Naveen Agarwal

0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the ftp url.

ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sdn/devkits/netweaver/abap/

Svetlin

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks. But it says you don't have permissions.

How can I connect?

Regards

Naveen Agarwal