Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELECTION-SCREEN COMMENT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus !!  Does anyone know of a way around the length of 79 restriction on SELECTION-SCREEN COMMENTS ?  I have a sentence that I would like to be all be on one line that is about 110 characters, but the 79 restriction won't allow me to do it.  Thanks for any help.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrg_wulf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's one other way, but I'm not sure it meets your requirement.

It's not really a comment  and it will not show the whole of your sentence at once, but you can scroll thru it and it will be displayed competely on mouse hover.

So this is what you have to do.

SELECTION-SCREEN begin of LINE.

parameters: p_long type c length 135.

SELECTION-SCREEN end of LINE.

... your code here ...

INITIALIZATION.

p_long = {your sentence}

LOOP AT screen.

IF screen-name = 'P_LONG'.

screen-input = 0.

screen-output = 1.

screen-display_3d = 0.

MODIFY SCREEN.

ENDIF.

ENDLOOP.

Regards
Jörg

11 REPLIES 11

TuncayKaraca
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

You can use multiple lines.

Check this Selection screen Comment Maximum length 79 ???

0 Kudos

Hi Tuncay.....The strict requirement is all of the sentence on one line and not multiple lines.  Do you still know of a way besides multiple lines ?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I don't know any way!

Tuncay

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you split your comment text in two, giving a code like

SELECTION-SCREEN BEGIN OF LINE.

SELECTION-SCREEN COMMENT 01(50) text-001.

SELECTION-SCREEN COMMENT 51(50) text-002.

SELECTION-SCREEN END OF LINE.

Regards,

Raymond

0 Kudos

Hi Raymond.....Thanks for your reply.....Yes, I tried this, but it leaves a 10 char gap between the 2 groups......I tried various scenarios regarding this technique.....Can't get rid of the gap.....

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael ,

You can use this below code snippet ....

But only issue it is taking some spaces in between two texts as you can see in the above screen shot.

Hope this will help ....

Regards,

AKS

0 Kudos

Hi Amit....Thanks for your reply.....I tried this approach with 2 TEXT symbols, but would always get the 10 char gap regardless...

Thanks,

Mike

jrg_wulf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

the only way i see around this, would be to make it a dialogue transaction and create your own selection screen. Then you can define your comment-field as long as the screen can take.

That would mean of course, you'ld have to build up the selection logic and all elements (including the extensions of select-options) on your own.

Regards

Jörg

jrg_wulf
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There's one other way, but I'm not sure it meets your requirement.

It's not really a comment  and it will not show the whole of your sentence at once, but you can scroll thru it and it will be displayed competely on mouse hover.

So this is what you have to do.

SELECTION-SCREEN begin of LINE.

parameters: p_long type c length 135.

SELECTION-SCREEN end of LINE.

... your code here ...

INITIALIZATION.

p_long = {your sentence}

LOOP AT screen.

IF screen-name = 'P_LONG'.

screen-input = 0.

screen-output = 1.

screen-display_3d = 0.

MODIFY SCREEN.

ENDIF.

ENDLOOP.

Regards
Jörg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jorg....Thanks for your reply......I'll try this out.....The actual requirement is for a sentence to display that is larger than 79 char.  The sentence is part of a legend for the selection screen.  The user does not want this sentence to wrap to multiple lines, but the "Hover Over" technique might be acceptable.  I'll try it and report back !!

Thanks,

Mike 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jorg......The "Hover Over" code works great, but the user decided to go with truncating the sentence at 79.....

Thanks for your help !!

MIke