Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSSM_TRANSFER_FILE_TO_APPSERV program doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are using the program which is a copy of standard program RSSM_TRANSFER_FILE_TO_APPSERV to upload file from local machine to application server. This program calls internally the function module WS_UPLOAD.

I am trying to upload a file of size 1 GB through this program. This program fails to upload such a big file and gives "unknown error". I was thinking of implementing following logic in my customized program but i am not sure how feasible it is to include the following logic as i am not a Core ABAP Programmer. Can any one suggest?

Requirement:

read into the internal table until it is 1GB big, than offload to the appserver file, clear the table and then continue reading the source file. This is to be done iterative until the whole file is processed. In implementing this change to the system we can ensure system stability and also availability of the upload function for the users.

Thanks,

Vijaya

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaya,

If the need is only to copy file from Desktop to AppSever, you can use below Tcodes for the same.

Tcode CG3Y (Download file From AppServer to Desktop)
Tcode CG3Z (Upload file to AppServer from Deskop)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you must have an older system....current version of this program utilizes (as it should) GUI_UPLOAD. CG3* transactions and WS_* functions are seriously out of date.

Why do you get a conversion error? Do you have an ASCII or Binary file and do you have the path/filename exactly correct? It could be that you're hitting limitations due to file size capability in the gui. There are many ways to move a file to an APPS server....check with your Basis guys...it may be much more beneficial to use some other tool, like FTP, to copy a file from desktop source to apps server target.

Edited by: BreakPoint on Nov 9, 2011 7:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

See what happens when you make a Z copy of a standard SAP program? SAP updates their version and you're stuck with the old one.

In any event, as a first step, try uploading the file as binary and see if you can at least get the full file.

Rob