Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading class characteristic long texts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

is there a BAPI /RFC module which reads the long texts/descriptions of values from characteristics of classes?

In a little more detail - I can find the characteristics of a particular class by calling the BAPI_CLASS_GET_CHARACTERISTICS. The problem is that this module delivers the descriptions of the values (in the table CHAR_VALUES) only in the login language. If I connect (using JCo) using the language english, I get only the english translations of the values.

Is there a way through which I can get the descriptions in all languages? Which BAPI do I use for this?

The only BAPIs I found in relation to the descriptions are BAPI_CLASS_CHAR_VALUE_TEXT_DEL and BAPI_CLASS_CHAR_VALUE_TEXT_OVR. As they suggest, these are only for deletion or modifying. What is strange ist that there is no BAPI for only reading - atleast I couldn't find one.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

T00th

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You BAPI_CLASS_GETDETAIL and BAPI_CHARACT_GETDETAIL for main informations,

For long texts , you must use function 'READ_TEXT'

Regards.

David

0 Kudos

Hi David,

I think you misunderstood my question - BAPI_CHARACT_GETDETAIL is known to me, but it does not help me in this case. I need information about the characteristics which are directly under a class. During configuration, these characteristics are then modified by classes which define if, for e.g, a characteristic should be visible or not.

Since I need the kind of information described above, I use the BAPI_CLASS_GET_CHARACTERISTICS to get the details of the characteristics. The problem is that the long texts of values of these characteristics are displayed only in the login language. I need to read the long texts in all available languages.

Therefore, I was expecting to find BAPIs similar to BAPI_CLASS_CHAR_VALUE_TEXT_DEL through which I can read long texts / descriptions of the values in all languages, but I couldn't find any.

Anyone else know of such a BAPI / RFC?

T00th

P.S Read_Text is not remote enabled so in this case it is useless for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There doesn't seem to be a straight forward way of doing this. A workaround has been currently implemented in our project which helps us for now.