Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Providing F4 help standard transaction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could anyone suggest me a way to provide F4 help in the standard transaction - ME51N at the field "requester" or "short text".

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You would have to change the data element which is tied to the field. You would create a custom search help in SE11 and then apply this search help to the data element used by the field. This may require registering the data element object.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

8 REPLIES 8

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You would have to change the data element which is tied to the field. You would create a custom search help in SE11 and then apply this search help to the data element used by the field. This may require registering the data element object.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

That was very quick Rich

I have already tried attaching my search-help to the data element (AFNAM) but its not working. I am unable to get any input help.

Any common errors you think i might be committing ?

0 Kudos

Let me ask this, if you put your cursor on the field and hit F4, does the help fire?

If you have a short program like so....

report zrich_0002.

parameters: p_afnam type afnam.

Does it work here?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

No Rich, no F4 help fires automatically.

I will not be able to put in any code of my own, it being a standard transaction (if this is what you were reffering to)

0 Kudos

Hi Ameekar,

Pl refer to Rich's first response.. you cannot possibly do it without putting your code.. that is what he meant by registering the Object..

Regards,

Suresh Datti

0 Kudos

Well, I just wanted to see if your search help worked in a test program, like the one above, if you applied the search help to the data element, then it should fire in the test program. Did you register the AFNAM object and recieve an access key, then define the search help for the data element?

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

Rich, Thanks a lot. It got resolved. Actually i just logged-off and logged-in again.

0 Kudos

Ahhhh yes. I've had this problem in custom development before. I created a search help, tied it to my custom data element, tied the data element to a field in a custom table. Then wrote a program using that field as a parameter, I could get the search help to fire all day long. When I came in the next day, it started working. Of course, I logged off before I went home, but I really never thought that that actually fixed it. Kind of weird. Maybe there is some kind of buffering happening with search helps. Anyway, glad that it is working for you now.

Regards,

Rich Heilman