Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Large amount of data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a file on application server in .dat format, it contains large amount of data may be 2 million of records or more, I need to open the file to check the record count, is there any software or any option to open the file, I have tried opening with Notepad, excel .... it gives error..

please let me know

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this..

Go to AL11..

Go to the file directory..Then in the file there will be field called length..which is the total length of the file in characters..

If you know the length of a single line..

Divide the length of the file by the length of single line..I believe you will get the number of records..

Thanks,

Naren

0 Kudos

Hi Narendran

I think length of single line may not be equal everytime, because in some lines there may not be some values.

please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi KP,

I don't think what I am saying is not a good approch. But if don't find any other solution, you can try the following.

Use OPEN DATASET, READ DATASET & CLOSE DATASET and move the data to an internal table and check number of entries using DESCRIBE statemenmt.

Thanks

Ramakrishna

0 Kudos

Try importing into Access.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Try Importing into Access?

Could you please explain, how to do it.

Thanks

0 Kudos

1. Open MS Access

2. Click "New"

3. Click "Blank database"

4. Give it a name and click "Create"

5. Go to File->Get External Data->Import...

6. Change file type to your file extension

7. Select your file and click "Import"

8. Select "Delimited" radiobutton and click "Next"

9. Select "Other" radiobutton and enter your delimiter in the box

10. Click "Finish"

0 Kudos

Great Michael,

It worked !!

Thanks

0 Kudos

Glad it worked for you. Access is a nice alternative to Excel when you have large datasets or if quick querying in a SQL environment is necessary.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is your file tab delimited file..

Thanks,

Naren

0 Kudos

NO,

pipe de-limited file

Thanks