Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

next to ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDN's,

I have been working on ABAP different modules from past 2 yrs.

Now that i see many recent technologies, am thinking of to update myself.

So what should i start with and what are the new technologies related.

Can anyone guide me in this

Regards

Pratyu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratyu,

You can go for ABAP WebDynpro,

XI

Regards,

Atish

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratyu,

You can go for ABAP WebDynpro,

XI

Regards,

Atish

0 Kudos

can you send me some good materials which i can start off with WebDynpros, but i am working on 4.7. so i would not be able to practice them.

so send me some good informative materials which i can easily understnd

What else can i look in other than Webdynpros??

Regards

Pratyusha

0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/77/3545415ea6f523e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

To practice, you can download the NetWeaver 7.0 sneak preview from the download section here on SDN.

Regards

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

Which among these do i need?

1.SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment Sneak Preview SAP Evaluation NW 7.1 SP1 10 Jul 2007

2.SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment Sneak Preview - Java EE only SAP Evaluation NW 7.1 SP1 10 Jul 2007

3.SAP NetWeaver 7.0 ABAP Trial Version

SAP Evaluation NW 7.0 (2004s) SP12 21 Jun 2007

Or is it any other thing which i need to download? Please tell me the correct one.

Can i install it in my PC at home and practice? I do not have SAP in my home PC.

Is there any other way where in i can practice at home?

Other than WebDynpros what else should i be looking into in.

By the way i had ordered for your Next Gen ABAP Dev book.

Regards

Pratyusha

0 Kudos

Hi. Yes you want number 3, the ABAP Trial Version. It is SP12 which is the latest support pack level

You can load it on your home PC, it will run with 1gb RAM, but will run a lot better with 2. This is a complete NetWeaver stack, so you will have all of the basis layer which to practice all aspects of ABAP including Web Dynpro. It will be just like logging on to your SAP system at work, but you will not have all of the functional modules like SD FI PP, etc, etc. But all ABAP stuff will be there.

I would practice up on your ABAP OO, shared memory objects, persistant objects, ABAP unit, BSPs, pretty much everything that is in the book you just ordered. What is nice is that you can pratice all this stuff with your NetWeaver trial version working along with the book. All source code is available on the CD as well.

Thanks for your support(in ordering the book). We hope it helps.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

0 Kudos

Thanks Rich, that was more informative reply.

I was never aware that i can install it in my PC at home. I was in an impression that i needed SAP for that, but cant install at my office.

But my home PC has a 512MB RAM. Would that be supporting for time being for practice sake?

Is there any limited time i can work on this trail version? If so can i extend it by any means?

Regards

Pratyusha

0 Kudos

I've seen mixed results with 512mb RAM, from people saying that it won't run at all, to some saying its fine, just slow, so I can't say for sure what is the trick. As far as the license, it is a 90 day license, which you can keep extending 90 days at a time every 90 days. For me, I've been extending for the past 1.5 years or so.

Regards,

RIch Heilman

0 Kudos

Thanks alot for all the information Rich, I shall try today and see.

Regards

Pratyusha

0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

I couldn't find the table of contents for your book in SAP Press. Does your book explain the WD4A concepts with examples/tutues or is it only focusing on the new development approach within ABAP?

Thanks,

Sougata.

0 Kudos

Check this <b><a href="/people/thomas.jung/blog/2007/06/27/next-generation-abap-development-book</b> for the contents of the book

Regards

Gopi

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP is evolving more into the Java side as well. I have taken the JA100 class. I would recommend it.

ABAP Objects uses Java as it's backbone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that you were working on only ABAP till now, so I suggest you to learn ALE, idocs, Workflow and Smart forms.

You can check the different forums in SDN on the above topics and check the first post in all these forums for FAQ's on this.

You might also check out http://www.saptechnical.com/ for various tutorials with screen shots on workflow, ale, idocs and others.