Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job running slow in an SAP system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I would be grateful, if anyone could please let me know, all the probable causes, in which a Job can slow down in an SAP system.

Answers from the ABAP point of view would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Swaroop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member589029
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are quite a few factors that can influence the runtime of a certain job:

- system load (number of users in the system and other jobs running)

- system config (resources available)

- individual job performance

In regard to individual performance the first question would be is it a standard SAP report that is executed or a custom report. In case of a custom report a runtime analysis (SE30) and a SQL trace (ST05) can reveal possible bottlenecks in the report design. In case of a standard report it might be worth raising an OSS (however a lot of reports vary greatly in runtime based on the selection criteria used).

So regardless of standard or custom a look at the selection criteria provided might help as well.

In case you have a specific problem with a report please provide more detailed information.

Hope that helps,

Michael

8 REPLIES 8

former_member589029
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are quite a few factors that can influence the runtime of a certain job:

- system load (number of users in the system and other jobs running)

- system config (resources available)

- individual job performance

In regard to individual performance the first question would be is it a standard SAP report that is executed or a custom report. In case of a custom report a runtime analysis (SE30) and a SQL trace (ST05) can reveal possible bottlenecks in the report design. In case of a standard report it might be worth raising an OSS (however a lot of reports vary greatly in runtime based on the selection criteria used).

So regardless of standard or custom a look at the selection criteria provided might help as well.

In case you have a specific problem with a report please provide more detailed information.

Hope that helps,

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Can you also please tell me, as to how you would go along analysing the problem?

i.e in case of System load and System config, how you would investigate the problem?

And how you would take steps to resolve the issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Swaroop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There may be many reasons for this like resource avaliability , system load , configuration , job performance etc.

If you are talking from abap point of view you should read the below link:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/ABAPPerformanceand+Tuning

This will provide you an inside into probable points that are cause of variuos issues and their solutions.

Hope this helps you.

0 Kudos

Hi Harsh,

I would be grateful, if you could give me the step by step details to resolve the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Swaroop.

0 Kudos

Hi,

You should find the exact cause of your problem , then only exact resolution can be identified.

In general from abap point of view , please refer the link in my pervious post.

you do runtime analysis and trace and post the result.

Then you will get the sepcific anawers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Experts!

Thats a lot of help. I will get back to you incase I need more help.

Regards,

Swaroop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would just like to know the details of investigation and steps towards resolution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please search the forum before asking - thread locked.

And do not cross post.

Rob

Edited by: Rob Burbank on Dec 26, 2009 2:42 PM