Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index on a DB Table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I need to create an index on a transparent table. I have question before I go and create the index. Can anybody (means developer) create an index on a table? What impact does it have on the R/3 system and on the Database? Is BASIS only supposed to create the index? I appreciate any inputs you have for me.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you creating the index on a standard SAP table or custom table?

Is the table updated only in batch or online as well?

If you have the authorization, you can create the index (but talk to the DBAs first - there may be tablespace implications).

Rob

5 REPLIES 5

former_member194669
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Creating additional indexes can place a load on the system since they must be adjusted each time the table contents change. Each additional index therefore slows down the insertion of records in the table.

It is NOT mandatory that only BASIS has to create index. If you have auth you can create.

PS : Please analyse the impact on the database before creating indexes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you creating the index on a standard SAP table or custom table?

Is the table updated only in batch or online as well?

If you have the authorization, you can create the index (but talk to the DBAs first - there may be tablespace implications).

Rob

0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies. The table I want to create index on is : BSIS. It is a very huge table in our system about 20million . And it is updated in both batch and online. Actually I need select the data for 3 fields from this table - ZUONR SHKZG WRBTR based on input data from the selection screen which has 4 fields: HKNOT, BUDAT, GJAHR, WERKS. Is there a alternate table so I can use?

Thanks again

0 Kudos

I would avoid adding an index on this table. Every time an FI document is created, there will be a small additional cost related to keeping the new index up to date.

Are you saying that the SELECT WHERE clause will be on HKNOT, BUDAT, GJAHR, and WERKS? If so, you just have to add the Company Code to use the primary index.

If you are doing this to speed up a single SELECT in a single custom program, I wouldn't do it.

Rob

0 Kudos

Thanks Rob.