Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase the character length of std sap field

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can I increase the character length of field for Requirement Tracking Number and collective number in RFQ. in std sap it is of field character length 10.

1. Requirement Tracking Number is captured in field BEDNR and stored in the structure RM06E (Input/Output Fields, Purchasing Documents) has a field length of 10 characters.

2. collective RFQ number is captured in field SUBMI and stored in the Table EKKO (Input/Output Fields, Purchasing Documents) has a field length of 10 characters

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

It is not possible to directly increase the length of the field.If we are having the ACCESS key then only we can increase the length of the field.SAP can only provide ACCESS KEY.

Award points if helpful.

Kiran Kumar.G.A

Have a Nice Day..

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

It is not possible to directly increase the length of the field.If we are having the ACCESS key then only we can increase the length of the field.SAP can only provide ACCESS KEY.

Award points if helpful.

Kiran Kumar.G.A

Have a Nice Day..

0 Kudos

thanks,

that is not an issue, we can take access key.

upto what length I can increase ? I require field length as 20.

any implications on this.?

I need to know as I am not a ABAP consultant but a functional consultant. I have to make a proposal for it that is why I raised the question.

regards

0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

I would advice NOT to try what you are attempting. When you change the length of the field through an access key you are not going to be taking note of any dependency. Also all database tables which are using the field would have to be "adjusted" because they would already contain data of the old length. Adjusting standard tables is very risky since even if you go with save and adjust, occasionally all data can be deleted.

Also, programs which are using the fields via data dictionary reference would be impacted and some SELECT queries would start dumping because of source and target field mapping mismatch.

Please consult an ABAP or BASIS consultant before proceeding.

Regards,

Aditya

Vijay
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

you can increase upto any length. just replace the domain with the domain of char20.

regards

vijay

reward points if helpfull

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

Yes you can increase the lenght just by changing the domain of the data element.

Regards,

Chandru