Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound doc processing/Archive?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Sorry for that strange subject line. Scenario: We receive PDF documents from external systems and also generate some PDF documents within SAP. A mandatory requirement here is to store all PDF documents and link them to some Z-tables providing the Archive ID, Arc DocID, Type and Class. We are going to use IXOS for archival. My questions are below:

1. Given the situation that I can pass a physical filename (PDF filename) on the APP server, is there any function module in SAP that would only accept this filename and returns me the Archival details (ID, DOCID, TYPE & CLASS)? Or am I supposed to supply a few of the ARC_PARAMS and that SAP would return me only the ID?

2. Is what I am referring to archival at all in the correct terminology? Or is this to be considered as an inbound document management or SAP DMS?

My questions are of a layman in archive, so please excuse me because I understand they might be stupid.

Thanks,

Joe

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joseph,

We have done some custom Archiving Development so maybe this will help you out.

1. Currently we us function module ARCHIV_CREATE_FILE to archive documents. We use this function module with standard SAP objects so you might have to investigate what kind of setup would be required for your Z Tables

With this function module we pass in the following parameters:

AR_OBJECT - This is the object you are archiving against. Check out table TOAOM for information. This value is part of the archiving config

OBJECT_ID - This is the key of the object. For example if you are archiving against a material, it would be the material number

SAP_OBJECT - Again check this against table TOAOM. This table links the SAP_OBJECT and the AR_OBJECT metioned above.

DOC_TYPE - This would probably be PDF

PATH - I think that here you can use a file on the app server or local file system.

2. Yes you are using the correct terminology

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

For sure a very helpful answer. I knew this function module but was not very sure if I was right. Also, I was not able to do any trial because we don't have any archive object created as of now. Is there any other way to test this by creating something like a dummy archive object and using it for the function module (temporarily)? Is it necessary that I should wait for the archiving party to set up all the config and then start development?

Thank you again,

Joe

0 Kudos

Joe,

I do not know all of the customizing and setup details for this but you might want to look at all of the IMG activities around the ArchiveLink setup.

You might be able to do some configuration and use R/3 as a content repository instead of an external system and also try and use one of the standard SAP objects for some testing. There will be some minimal config that needs to be done though.

I am not sure what version you are on. But I get to the IMG activities by doing the following:

1. Execute Transaction SPRO

2. Menu Path: SAP Web Appicatino Server->Basis Services->ArchiveLink

Chris