Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION best method?

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement to upload approximately 10 infotypes for 100 employees.

The user wants this in batch input so that if there are any errors in the loading they can simply go to SM35 and run the records that are in error.

I think the best way to do this is to create a batch input session for each infotype, i.e. 10 sessions. My question is can this be done via function hr_infotype_operation? It seems this doesn't create a batch job, so is there a better function?

regards,

Glen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

When I worked a lot with Personnel Administration, we tended to use CATT a lot to update en masse infotypes.

This was to ensure that everything worked and nothing was skipped (like events, dynamic actions).

Check if someone in the company has experience with this, that way you dont need to ABAP and it can be done pretty quickly if you know how it works.

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

12 REPLIES 12

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

When I worked a lot with Personnel Administration, we tended to use CATT a lot to update en masse infotypes.

This was to ensure that everything worked and nothing was skipped (like events, dynamic actions).

Check if someone in the company has experience with this, that way you dont need to ABAP and it can be done pretty quickly if you know how it works.

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately they want Batch Input as goign forward they might have a few employee every month for which they will want to run this program.

Regards,

Glen

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

If this is about a few employees every month then that is a bad business case for creating a custom piece of coding.

Custom abap increases maintenance cost along with extra risks involved.

In your case I would not automate a proces for those small numbers, that is not what automating processes in IT is intended for.

In this case simply altering the users instruction manuals or training a bit should be more than sufficient.

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

I agree 100%, and in fact have mentioned similair arguments to client, but they insist on batch jobs for this! It could be anything from a few records to the occassional batch of 50 or 100 employees, although mostly not. For the first 100 there are no CATT experts here so this is also, regretably, not an option.

0 Kudos

What is the infotype? There might be HR standard reports and transactions (transaction HRUSER for instance for noticing missing 105 and adding it).

also, the client cannot insist on batch jobs, the client can insist on an automated proces to add an infotype to specific personnel numbers, the way to fulfil that requirement is at the consultants disposal.

good luck!

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your help.

The actual requirement is fairly complex and I don't really want to go into that here as it would take pages to explain everything. I just would like to know if HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION can be used to create a batch session.

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

As other people in this thread have said it is better to use catt/bim

The reason being that there could be dynamic actions (exits, or others) that you want to have triggered when an infotype manipulation occurs.

Only using this FM might skip an action, that is one of the extra risk that the client has to accept if they still want go along this (incorrect) path.

rthoodi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Anthony,

Why can you place the file in application server and read it from there, this way you can schedule and process in background with the same function module.

Regards

RK

0 Kudos

Hi RK,

I don't have files. There is some conversions to certain fields so I have all the information in Internal tables.

For example I have an internal table for PA0002 for 100 employees, now I want to create a batch job to load this. Can this be done with HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION?

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

The FM HR_INFOTYPE_OPERATION can be used to insert values to a infotype.but it doesn't not use the transactions and checks for the screen validations, It directly insert the values to the corresponding database table.There are no much validations for the infotypes,If an record is already present it delimit the existing record.Using FM if anything goes while inserting you have to do it again,but if same record exist then it modifies.

former_member219162
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Glen,

It's better you go along a BDC session instead of "hr_infotype_operation". Sometime Dynamic action is not triggered using HR_INFOYYPE_OPERATION. But if you are using BDC Dynamic action as well as User Exit/BADI would get triggered correctly.

thangam_perumal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Mr Glen Anthony,

Better U Create LSMW for Each Infotype . Last time i have create 30 LSMW for HR implementation. LSMW is the cheap and Best Method.