Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto? Application Log Double Click Handling

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using the Application Log (SBAL) as an error protocol. Instead of transaction SLG1 I have written an own, a little bit more user friendly, monitor with an ALV-Grid (similar to Report SBAL_DEMO_04_SELF) for displaying messages. Now I would like to have double click event handling for the tree and the ALV. Someone can give me a hint how to implement that?

Thanks in Advance, BR

Alfons

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfons,

sadly I can't help you with your problem, but I can give you some advice with the application log.

For about 3 months we also used the SBAL for logging purposes. Then we had the first bigger project in which we thought we can also use it. We checked out all possible callback-routines, but we didn't find something suitable for doubleclick event handling (what we although found was that callback for an hotspot on that detail field, not very useful at all). So if that's not enough for you, you should better look for another (own) way of logging.

One other big problem is that static system of context (which is limited to 255 characters by the way). We also couldn't read fields we filled in the application log context before we red the complete message, so that we couldn't use the content of the context efficient in the selection screen. That was almost as bad as the missing event handling.

Don't forget, that the SBAL-Function Modules are already over 5 years old again. We thought and think, that they are already old fashioned. If it's not too late for your project, I can only suggest you to develop an own logging framework and forget about that application log system. I'm sure we could have finished our projects in 1/2 to 3/4 of the time we needed to learn how the application log works until we found out it can't fulfill our purposes.

Best Regards,

Steffen Voll

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfons,

sadly I can't help you with your problem, but I can give you some advice with the application log.

For about 3 months we also used the SBAL for logging purposes. Then we had the first bigger project in which we thought we can also use it. We checked out all possible callback-routines, but we didn't find something suitable for doubleclick event handling (what we although found was that callback for an hotspot on that detail field, not very useful at all). So if that's not enough for you, you should better look for another (own) way of logging.

One other big problem is that static system of context (which is limited to 255 characters by the way). We also couldn't read fields we filled in the application log context before we red the complete message, so that we couldn't use the content of the context efficient in the selection screen. That was almost as bad as the missing event handling.

Don't forget, that the SBAL-Function Modules are already over 5 years old again. We thought and think, that they are already old fashioned. If it's not too late for your project, I can only suggest you to develop an own logging framework and forget about that application log system. I'm sure we could have finished our projects in 1/2 to 3/4 of the time we needed to learn how the application log works until we found out it can't fulfill our purposes.

Best Regards,

Steffen Voll