Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to perform a CAP bound action on a Collection?

Cmdd
Participant

Hello experts,

in a Fiori Elements frontend (FPM) I need to perform a CAP bound action on several entities (selected from a table) but I am experiencing some issues.

TL;DR I can't find a proper way to pass a collection to my bound action modeled as such: 

entity MyEntity as projection on db.myTable actions {
             action actionOnCollection(in: many $self); 
     };

---
First, I implemented such action with simple annotations and implicit binding parameter, so each entity was passed to the backend handler and processed individually: the side effect showed up on the UI as soon as the single action was performed in a not very nice manner, also with InvocationGrouping set to #ChangeSet...

Then I improved the situation by calling the action in a controller extension via the editFlowAPI invokeAction: setting the invocationGrouping to ChangeSet from the API packs all the POST and GET requests in a single batch request. Each entity is still processed individually but the response is unique so the UI receives a single update when all operations are done. The problem is that sometimes the process takes too long and the request has a timeout.

In the documentation, I found a very promising statement about explicit binding parameter that can fit my needs:

"Use the keyword many to indicate that the action or function is bound to a collection of instances rather than to a single one."

I tried many solutions but as soon as I add this parameter to my bound action, no params nor data are passed to my backend although the edmx file expects an entity collection as intended. I can't find a clear explanation on how to use it nor examples on how to pass a collection...

How can I pass a collection to my bound action? Is it really possible or am I misinterpreting the whole thing?

Thanks a lot

Chiara

0 REPLIES 0