Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create RFC Destination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I want to create an RFC Destination for a program installed on a Windows NT Server (accessable over the intranet to everyone.) This program will then be executed through the SAP program.

My Application Server is operating on HP-UX.

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,

Madhur

NOTE: I am continuing the same thread since the problem is changing shape and I really don't want the people who have tried to help me not to be rewarded.

Hi All,

Is it possible to write a file to a server that you are not logged onto, i.e. you are logged onto Server A, but want to write a file on Server B?

Regards,

Madhur

Message was edited by: Madhur Chopra

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can write an RFC enabled function module on system B to write to that server. You can call the RFC from system A.

Cheers

Sanjay

0 Kudos

And the rfc does not need to log on to the other server?

0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the architecture here a little. I have not used RFC much and am not really sure how to place the call from Server A to Server B.

As for the FM, I'll try to implement this and then get back to you accordingly. Yes and I will definitely be awarding points once this is resolved

Since developing the FM will take some time and u might not be monitoring this thread by then I'll get back to you on ur mail id.

Regards,

Madhur

0 Kudos

Hi Rainer,

I am clear about the authorization part so that not a problem. What I am still not clear about is how to place the RFC call to Server B from Server A wihtout actualy logging on to it.

Regards,

Madhur

0 Kudos

To develop an RFC FM you have to set in the attributes in SE37 "Remote Enabled Module" . For example just see RFC_GET_SYSTEM_INFO or anf BAPI FM , these are remote enabled.

To call it from system A -

CALL FUNCTION '<Z_FUNCTION>' DESTINATION '<DEST>'.

<DEST> will be the RFC destination for system B which you can request your basis folks to create in transaction

SM59 if no RFC destination exits for system B . Or if one exits you can use that. In fact in RFC destination maintenance you give the logon parameters . SO RFC function call also logs on to the target system but this is in background and is not visible to you.

Cheers.

Sanjay

rainer_hbenthal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Either you are authorized or not. If not, you cant.

andreas_mann3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you use sapftp ?

1) create your file on server A

2) transfer your file on server B (e.g.-> RSFTP004)

3) delete your file on server A if necessary

Andreas

0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Can u guide me on how to use sapftp?

Regards,

Madhur

0 Kudos

Hello Madhur,

I've read this thread and have got one question. What do you mean by "not having to log on to the Server B" ?

Even if you use an RFC, there will be an implicit log-on to the Server B. The Log on details have to be specified in SM59 when you create the RFC Destination.

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Good to see your comment

Here's the detail!

We have a HR Dev server operating on Win NT. There we have installed a decryption utility. Now the users log onto FI Prod server that operates on HP-UX. The user will specify the name of the encrypted file stored on his local machine. This file must then be downloaded into a folder on the HR server that is open for access to all over the network. Next a call must be placed to the Decryption utility which will decrypt the file and output the decrypted file in the same folder. Noe this file is to be uploaded into the FI Prod server for further processing.

Now I am trying to create the program as an RFC destination so that I can place a call to it, also I need to locate a FM that will output the file in the required folder.

If you have any other approach, please suggest.

Regards,

Madhur

0 Kudos

Hello Madhur,

Am I correct in understanding that the Decryption Utility is a Utility outside of SAP? If yes, then you actually want to call an external program on a remote server from within SAP. right ?

Regards,

Anand Mandalika.

0 Kudos

Yes Anand,

Thats absolutely correct. To complicate matters we are on a heterogenous landscape, else I cud've used the network path directly.

regards,

Madhur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhur,

If you can create one RFC function module in server B, then you can do this.

First create one RFC function module in server B which will access data and writes to the the server B.

Create one RFC destination in Server A for Server B.

Then write program in server A and call the RFC function module u created in server B , giving destination 'B'.

This will write the daat in serber B.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Siri.