Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you compare the values of two strings of different length inside an inner join?

former_member313475
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I've tried a number of different things trying to comparing the field lop_d_list_hd-doc_item_no to wbhi-tposn. Nothing seems to be working. Neither of the bold options below is working.

doc_item_no: 0000000010 would be item 10. The data type is NUMC and the length is 10.

tposn: 000010 would be item 10. The data type is numc and the length is 6.

Does anyone know of a way to compare the two columns inside the inner join so I don't have to loop through the table to do the compare?

SELECT DISTINCT
A~DOC_NO, ", -- Document Number (TC #)
A~DOC_ITEM_NO, " DOC_ITEM_NO,
A~MASTER_NO, ", -- List Number
A~LOP_CAT, ", -- Option Category
A~LOP_ID, ", -- Option Category Description
B~MATNR, ", -- Material
C~TPOSN
INTO Table @IT_LOP_TEMP FROM LOP_D_LIST_HD AS A
INNER JOIN LOP_D_LIST_IT AS B
ON A~LIST_GUID = B~LIST_GUID
INNER JOIN WBHI AS C ON
C~TKONN = A~DOC_NO
* AND C~TPOSN = RIGHT(A~DOC_ITEM_NO)
*AND A~DOC_ITEM_NO = C~TPOSN
INNER JOIN WBHK AS D ON D~TKONN = C~TKONN
wHERE
A~LOP_CAT = P_LOP_CAT AND
B~MATNR in so_matnr AND
D~KUNNR = i_kunnr AND " -- Customer
D~btbsta in T_BTBSTA_RFC_SELOPT.

2 REPLIES 2

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see you tried to use the RIGHT function, but it won't work if you don't run ABAP 7.50.

As the 2 fields contain different values (0000000010 versus 000010), you can only use a join by using the new functions RIGHT or SUBSTR of ABAP 7.50. The only other way I know before 7.50 is to use 2 SELECT statements, the second being with FOR ALL ENTRIES where it's possible to indicate a substring, possibly with a join:

• SELECT ... FROM lop_d_list_hd INTO TABLE itab_lop_d_list_hd ...
  • SELECT ... FROM wbhi FOR ALL ENTRIES IN itab_lop_d_list_hd WHERE c~tposn = itab_lop_d_list_hd-doc_item_no(6)...

But of course it may be counter-performing especially if the first SELECT returns too many lines.