Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having multiple sessions open

Former Member
0 Kudos

I find myself working in many clients at the same time, Development, QA, PRD, Staging and so on. With multiple sessions open in each cleint (upto 6 at a time) it can get difficult trying to figure out what window belongs to what client. In the task bar I have set Windows XP to group similar taskbar buttons, so I only have one button. Now I can always see the client from the lower strip in the SAP window, but as you can imagine it can be quite cumbersome to figure out what client I am working in. Do you guys have a way to make this easier? Wondering what other Abappers out there do. Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

former_member305388
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will get the client details in each session at the bottom right end.. which can be hidden or shown as per your wish... just check there..

Wil_Wilstroth
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Megan,

I do sometimes maintain several sessions in different client like you...

I am not sure about XP but in VISTA:

1. On your right side of the toolbar near the clock... there's a SAP logon pad icon (when you login)...right click on it to see all your session. The list of session will be describe in a popuplist...

2. Another method, try to close session temporarily, until you want to use them again (even though you will be using it shortly)

Normally, i will still close those session, even though i know i need to use them shortly... its for the sake of sanity, I keep it simple so i don't get confuse... ahahhahahaha....

thanks,

William Wilstroth

William Wilstroth

0 Kudos

William,

This is what I do right now. For the sake of sanity I close the sesions every now and then. And then it makes me even more madder because then I have to open them again and type the program names or table names and so on.

I have even tried to differentiate the sessions by background color. DEV is pink PRD is RED and so on. But again with the taskbar not displaying the color it is very difficult. There must be an easier way out of this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your open sessions window, In the Right

hand Bottom corner you can see the System name

and your client name of which your session is open.

Regards

Mansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Megan,

EDIT : you can forget this one, you posted your comment about colors the very same time I posted mine. Sorry...

There's a way to configure the color of your SAP FrontEnd GUI depending on the system your working on. In the toolbar go to the list icon "Customize local layout" (ALT+F12) then choose "New Visual Design". Define color settings in the second tabstrip, then in the previous menu, go to "Set color to system", and you can set a color theme for the system.

This way, you can check with just a glance on which client you're working on.

Hope it helps.

Stephane

Edited by: Stéphane Raphaël on Apr 6, 2009 10:12 AM

babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Meghan,

Probably what you can do is change the color of the SAP GUI for each client.

This would help you not to confuse between the clients.

What do u say

0 Kudos

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have tried the color scheme. But you see most of my work is in SE11 or SE38 and so all the window buttons on the taskbar have the same description. So I have to go into each one of them to check what client they belong to. Not a fun practise I must say.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

Call for Microsoft support, there is a patch by installing it, it a toolbar comes by navigating alt+tab.

Regards

Shashi

0 Kudos

What are you referring to? Are you talking about moving between windows by using Alt + Tab. If so, this has been around for the longest time as I use it all the time for IE.

What would be ideal is something like Internet Explorer. Say you have 10 windows open for IE and they are grouped into a single taskbar button, but when you click on the button you can see the description of the websites open. Now for SAP, if we could see along with the description of the transaction the client, that would solve this issue