Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM - TABLE structure in IMPORT interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can you tell what possible issues might be there when a TABLE structure (PDF data) is being passed in the IMPORT interface of FM (instead of TABLES interface)? There is no problem though.

I am not sure if I need to rectify this.

Thanks,

Usham.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Usham,

There shouldn't be any issue, and in case if your FM is a RFC(or has a scope of being an RFC in the future) on the contrary it is best practices not to use TABLES parameter anymore as it is deprecated.

See the below thread for more details,

Regards,

Chen

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Usham,

There shouldn't be any issue, and in case if your FM is a RFC(or has a scope of being an RFC in the future) on the contrary it is best practices not to use TABLES parameter anymore as it is deprecated.

See the below thread for more details,

Regards,

Chen

0 Kudos

Thanks Chen and Raymond. I feel relieved.

Although TABLES parameters in FM are said to be OBSOLETE, it is a must if we have any TABLE structure passed in RFC enabled FM and the table has huge content; Otherwise it just doesn't work. (Check my previous thread @ [COMMUNICATION_FAILURE in CALL FUNCTION STARTING NEW TASK/Background task |😉

Regards,

Usham.

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No problem;that is even the best choice as TABLES parameters are allowed but obsolete.

TABLES parameters are table parameters. Table parameters are obsolete CHANGING parameters that are typed as standard tables with a header line. If an internal table without a header line or a table body is passed as an actual parameter to a formal parameter of this type, an empty local header line is generated in the function module. If an internal table with a header line is used as an actual parameter, both the table body and the header line are passed to the function module. Pass by value is not possible in formal parameters defined using TABLES. Formal parameters defined with TABLES can be replaced by formal parameters defined with CHANGING. A local work area can be created for the internal table in the function module by using the addition LIKE LINE OF itab of the DATA statement.

(from [Function Module Interfaces |http://help.sap.com/abapdocu_70/en/ABENFUNCTION.htm])

Regards,

Raymond