Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Free Memory ID and Free Memory ID: in Performance ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

I have to free say around 20 memory IDs.

Is it wise use

FREE MEMORY ID 1.
FREE MEMORY ID 2.
FREE MEMORY ID N.

or

FREE MEMORY ID: 1, 2, .... N.

Please dont mention about readability.

Please say about performance only. Will the later increase Performance or former ?

thanks,

Padma

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Iam closing this thread here and opening it again in GENERAL section as i need quick replies.

thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi,

If you're in such a rush why don't you try transaction SM30 (push button Tips & Tricks) to benchmark the two approaches to find how negligible the difference is yourself?

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos

This is the correct forum and duplicate posting is not allowed.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I checked in SE30. (Hope you said, SE30 only as SM30 is Tab Maint.)

But not able to find out in Tips and Tricks.

any answers please ?

thanks

0 Kudos

You can measure a run time of your program in SE30. So make program using first variant, run it from SE30 and see results. Than make the same for second variant and you will see difference. It is the same as using GET RUNTIME FIELD statement to measure a run time. But I think you do not have to worry about performance in case of FREE MEMORY, it is relative "cheap" statement. And both variants should take approximately the same time, because they are doing exactly the same, just syntax is different. The second one is just a way how to write the first one into one line. But it will also do 20 times the statement FREE MEMORY.

Adrian

0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, I meant SE30.

When I tested this in SE30 (on your behalf) I found the difference between the two structures when freeing 20 memory IDs was negligible. But I still don't understand why you were not able to use SE30 yourself.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the performance should be the same in both cases. But you can test it using transaction SE30 or using statement GET RUNTIME FIELD to get some exact results.

Regards,

Adrian

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

0 Kudos

Do you mind telling ust which turned out to be faster and how much was saved?

Rob